Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Water dripping from aft end of keel

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water dripping from aft end of keel
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019 11:36 
Skipper

I know I post too much, but I enjoy criticism and guidance. I notice a drop of water under the aft end of the keel about 6"-8" in. Stinky resin water. So I cut out a notch. Solid glass. Cut another notch further forward. A small void leading upward toward the bow with some crap in the middle. Almost looks like foam. There has been at least one repair fore and aft (each) on this keel. So while I was fitting the stbd cap rail this morning, I put the vacuum on it. Seems to have slowed down. It was dripping about every 1.5 minutes at first, no water coming through now. It seems to be when there's water in the bilge sump. I dried the bilge sump and poured some acetone in-enough to observe. The screw hole where the Rule 1500 base had been screwed had miniscule bubbles coming out of it. If the keel stays dry enough, I can plug it. If not, I'll have to cut some more out so I can reglass the thing. Any dampness at all and the whole project is a waste of time. I drilled a 1/4" hold a little higher and further forward and it seemed like solid glass, no moisture coming out. We'll see. Not an earth shattering thing, but I like a tight hull.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Water dripping from aft end of keel
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2019 17:52 
Skipper

You are doing what I would do. Don’t sweat.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019 20:40 
Able Bodied Seaman

"Posting too much" is not a thing. We all learn from each other and the more posts the better.

I've posted a bit and have read and learned more from others than I have posted.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019 16:45 
Skipper

Yup, saw that. Didn't want to go there, but it doesn't scare me. I put the vacuum on the void leading forward for several hours, injected acetone into it, let it dry, put the vaccum on again, more acetone (chases water because it evaporates so fast), whipped up some West System with thick filler so it was ALMOST ready to kick (the white, hard one), one more hit of acetone, injected the slurry into the void and nailed it with the rest. Hard as a rock, no leaks. Now I have to fix my two 4" sawzall 90 degree notches. I'm just going to tape them up, leave a hole at the top, and fill it with the same slurry. That end of the keel needs a little glass, so I'll run strips of biax around and under the repair as I fill in where someone did a shitty repair job just forward and above the aft end of the keel.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019 22:03 
Skipper

Just saw a very small wet spot for the first time about three inches up from the aft end keel. Think it got in from a gouge on the aft edge of the keel. Hope I can dry without getting to crazy, trying to paint in the next couple of days.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2019 13:00 
Skipper

If the laminate is damp at all, just cut it out, chase the dampness and fill it. I'll post photos of my repair when i get back. Trying to repair anything wet or the least little bit damp is a waste of time. That glass layup is NOT easy to butcher with a sawzall, either. I probably had the wrong blades. Have responsibilities next week and if I don't get out of here (V.I.) tomorrow, I may be stuck here for awhile. Hurricane Jerry is due to nick us Friday and park north of us Saturday, making the nonstop on Jet Blue to Boston unlikely. Picking up a spanky new Muir windlass with capstan, 150' of 5/16ths G4, swivels, switches and so forth and the associated accoutrements on my way through back to Northern Maine. I was going to go with Lewmar, but an opportunity arose, and if Muir is good enough for Hinckley . . . Next project, windlass installation. Yet another shiny thing distracts my attention.

Profile Email