Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - POLL! Does rudder pintle carry any weight?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: POLL! Does rudder pintle carry any weight?
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2019 06:43 
Skipper

I completely rebuilt, cut open, re-foamed, sealed up (including the skeg/fairing) and reassembled. The pintle carries the weight of the rudder in the yard, but that is undoubtedly reduced to nil in the water. Tartan's (overpriced) skeg was cleaned out and filled with foam, then sealed with glass aft and above, leaving enough space to slide the pintle in and bolt it to the hull. Brush on a stick will get the Micron 66 in there and reduce the flora and fauna nature of that cave.

However, I kinda wish I had some pneumatic tools and the little grinder to reach in and reduce the variable thickness of the top of the skeg to reflect the 1/8" thick remnant I pulled out from under the pintle when I dropped the rudder. Instead, it's like 3/8" thick and slightly lowered the whole assembly. Some kind of sloppy glass work on the skeg as well.

The pintle bolts aren't long enough to fully receive 5/8" nyloc nuts, either, and it came apart uncomfortably easily after I got the blobs of 5200 out of the way. There were no lock washers. I got one nyloc to catch, but have to put non-locking nuts on the other 3, hopefully fitted with lock washers. The pintle is bedded in 4200 inside and out.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: POLL! Does rudder pintle carry any weight?
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2019 05:41 
Midshipman

Here’s my pintle, remade with gussets for strength. As I said, my pintle was bent downward, as if from weight. That’s why I strengthened it. Overkill? Ok. Overkill is good.

Attachments:
6D1A811E-4009-41D0-89E8-8FEDC5C8D5F5.jpeg
6D1A811E-4009-41D0-89E8-8FEDC5C8D5F5.jpeg [ 1.64 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email