Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Electrical Upgrade

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electrical Upgrade
PostPosted: 18 May 2007 14:38 
Tactictian

I recevied a budget estimate for upgrading the elect. on a 79 Tartan 37 of $11-12k. The upgrade items are based on the following survey recommendations.

Elect. estimate per the following.........

1.) Install a circuit breaker with simultaneous trip in both power feeder conductors.

2.) Install a polarity indicator on the 120 V AC shore power circuit.

3.) Install an in line fuse on ech ungrounded conductor connected to the batteries with a distance of 7" of the batterery.

4.) Replace the shore power chord.

5.) Secure batteries against movement.

Although this guy is certified for elect. marine work and came highly recommended by the marina, a budget of $12k, seems very high for an electrical upgrade.

Any comments would be greatly apprecaited.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Electrical Upgrade
PostPosted: 18 May 2007 16:09 
Skipper

HUH?!?

I've done those upgrades myself in the last few months, and spent less than $500.

In fact, I've added a 1000 W Inverter/Charger, replaced/upsized all my battery cables, added a battery monitor system, a battery combiner, a galvanic isolator, a new 12v and 110 v panel, completely rewired my 110 v system, and spent less than $3000.

I had the help of an electrician friend, but the upgrades you listed are well within the capabilities of a dyi boat owner. Lets break it down:

A new 110 v panel with built in polarity indicator and digital Ammeter ( I used one from West Marine with 30A main breaker and three 15A branch circuit breakers) - $440

A 6 Position Fuse Block With Ground mounted near the batteries - $35

A new 50' 30A/125V shore power cord - $99.00

Total cost $534.00

I got my AC panel on sale, 50% off. You'll probably need to replace your AC wiring. My boat (1979 hull # 118) had the original solid copper wire. So add another $100 or two for wire, more for incidentals like wire ties and such.

Have fun (and save some $$),

Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 May 2007 13:31 
Midshipman

I agree with Jay and it sounds like we had parallel projects. If all you are getting for $11k are the survey items corrected than I would look for another electrician. I documented most of my project here and I need to add the photos of the GFCI compliance I added.

Craig

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 May 2007 06:01 
Skipper

I would work on the electrical system myself if I were you. Not only is it fairly simple (once you get your basic knowledge and confidence) but you learn your boat!!!! Which is vitally important with on a sailboat when your out there and no one is coming to help anytime soon. I've completely re-worked my panels and shore power systems, as well as run new circuits for different gadgets and it isn't difficult at all as long as you choose the right gauge wire for the round-trip run.
The original wire that Tartan used for my D.C. system is pre-tinned stranded which I kept, but the A.C. was solid copper house wire....which I replaced immediately (it's known to break due to vibrations)
Good Luck, Tom

Profile Email