Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Unit selection and install location of Air Conditioning unit

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 04:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unit selection and install location of Air Conditioning unit
PostPosted: 21 May 2019 14:17 
Able Bodied Seaman

I spent a few minutes searching the forum but didn't see anyone call out specifically where their air conditioning unit was located or what model number they purchased?

We are considering putting in AC w/ reverse cycle heat but only if I can limit the amount of additional holes I need to cut into our interior beyond two holes for vents.

My target location was in the forward salon locker opposite the head, however I'm unsure the evaporator can be oriented in a way that allows adequate ventilation. This location is ideal for providing cooled/heated air to the v-berth and salon.

I have looked at Webasto and Dometic units but none seem to be good candidates for that location.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Hull #459

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Unit selection and install location of Air Conditioning
PostPosted: 21 May 2019 18:52 
Able Bodied Seaman

Is there a reason I'm unable to open any of the pictures even when I am signed into the forum? When I click on the link: "You are not authorised to download this attachment"

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this question.

Thanks-

Hull #459

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 May 2019 06:10 
Skipper

To view pics, make certain that you are logged in.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019 10:34 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thanks for the feedback.

We selected the Webasto FCFP 115V 16,000 BTU unit.

I did see the pictures in the threads shared and for us, I don't believe the pilot berth location will work for us. For one, our hull #459 did not come with a pilot berth, and the location behind the seats is not a good fit, especially considering the intake air requirement needed.

Upon getting the unit into the boat, it quickly became clear that utilizing either of the starboard hanging lockers opposite the head would not be a good fit either. We would end up sacrificing all of the usable space in the locker in pursuit of the AC install.

We did find that the space directly forward of the chart table, aft of the port water tank (underneath the L-shaped seating) could be a very efficient use of space to locate the unit, however it may not be ideal for utilizing ductwork. We intend to the locate the unit here.

At this point, we are considering foregoing ductwork and simply having a single vent blowing out into the main cabin. I recognize this is not ideal but would welcome any feedback on this proposal. The amount of large diameter holes needed to provide adequate flow to v-berth seems to outweigh the reward of having a vent in the v-berth, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Hull #459

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019 11:48 
Skipper

This tread shows how I installed a 16000btu unit under the crew bunk... after raising the bunk and adding about 4 inches to the lee board, you can't tell that it was ever installed there. I lost two storage areas but it was worth it.

http://www.tartan37.com/t37forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=874&hilit=flagship&

Profile Email