Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New Chainplates for my T37 #49 HELP PLEASE!

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 08:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Chainplates for my T37 #49 HELP PLEASE!
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2021 16:52 
Skipper

Got my question answered. $2075 for all 6 plus shipping, 4-6 weeks to get them back. Yow. I guess I haven't had 316 chains made in a few years.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2021 09:30 
Navigator

Maineiac, is that the price from Tartan?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2021 08:19 
Skipper

Si. They kindly sent me the drawings from Tartan, so I'm going to float some additional quotes from Mack Sails and The Yachtrigger.

Right off the bat, Yachtrigger (requesting additional detail, photos) says $75.00 to $150.00 a pop, so there's a max of $900 right there. 316SS electropolished.

I haven't pulled any yet, but starboard aft squeaks imperceptibly and port forward has a small crack emanating outboard. I just want a setup I won't have to worry about for the next 10 years, and 42 year old chainplates - as clean as they look - I've always replaced.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2021 08:50 
Skipper

PM me for the skinny on other quotes. I have the drawings. $1200 less on one quote from someone who built chains for another member of the Board awhile back. Another quote splitting the difference.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2021 17:17 
Skipper

If you use an aftermarket chainplate, does that void the warranty on the boat If you have a rig failure!?!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2021 07:28 
Skipper

I'm pretty sure any warranty ran out over 40 years ago. The best quote I've gotten was from TheYachtRigger (Brian). But there were caveats given the funky aft lowers and "3 plate" construction. I've got the Tartan drawings if anyone needs them.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2021 06:50 
Skipper

Emailed drawings. Range of cost for all six, as I recall, is around $1500 to $2075 plus shipping. I hope the hell mine are adequate, since I have an Ivana complex. Ivana Caphorn vane. Ivana series drogue. Ivana new electronics. Ivana paint the hull. Ivana mid-toerail fairlead/cleat. Ivana finish this Muir 1250 install without screwing something up. Ivana big house bank of LiFePo. Ivana solar system.

All that said, she'll sail right now if Ivana. So I just vana this rain to stop so I can get some things done.

Oh, and if you can tactfully upload those drawings to the site, 'preciate it. Tech challenged, barn carpenter. Finishing stuff like 7/8" thick hatch board setup instead of that winky 3/8" that was there. Boy can I butcher a piece of teak. Luckily, I have West System by my side, and I bought an old teak table out of a yacht last year scrap instead of paying for new stuff. Just enough to get the hatchboards done and some other odds and ends like getting the angle on the tripled organizer to port set correctly. Whoops, gotta go out in the driveway before work and pull the light dep tarp on the Dyer 29 where I've got the deck all cut up to replace 3/4" decking. Damn rain.

Last edited by Maineiac on 06 Jul 2021 08:02, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2021 08:05 
Skipper

Lunacy 198 wrote:
I got your email with all the attachments - thanks so much Kevin ! I'll get them uploaded to this website. I think there is a Tech ref on chainplates.

As mentioned in my reply: I'm heading out to the boat now for some last minute prep for TS Elsa.

The boat is at DIYC in downtown Tampa, FL. When the winds come from the South tonight, it will be low tide (fortunately) rising until noon tomorrow. That will be close to 3' high tide plus whatever storm surge we get. Fortunately, the wind should not be anything more than we get every afternoon this time of year in thunderstorms except it will last for hours instead of minutes

Thank you for the upload. Bear in mind the drawings include three which together all make up the aft lowers. We'll see Elsa by the end of the week. We're getting tropical moisture here in Maine right now. Socked in fog so thick you can cut it with a butter knife. No rain at the moment, but when I went out to cover the Dyer 29 so I can dry the exposed deck before glassing, everything is absolutely soaked in heavy, heavy dew. Nice day tomorrow, rain Thurs-Fri, maybe sun on Saturday.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2021 16:11 
Navigator

I'll be doing chainplates next week. I already completed Lunacy step 1, removing the aft corner trim "box." Optimistically, I was thinking that might be enough access to get a wrench in and hold each nut or bolt as we unscrew them from the saloon. Then I don't have to remove the cabinet.

Is that a crazy idea? Is it going to be easier in the end to pull out the cabinet?

We also need to rebed (and install backing plates) lifeline stanchions. Getting behind the pilot berth ceiling looks like more of a challenge than this project.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2021 13:06 
Skipper

Just a thought as you have your chainplates out. Before I replaced mine I made 6 oblongs of G10 ,about credit card size,and epoxied one on deck at each penetration,then drilled/dremmeled a new slot. The 1/4” G10 surround stops water pooling at the chainplate entry.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next