Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - 8 thru hulls removed, now what.. :D

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 17:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 8 thru hulls removed, now what.. :D
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019 19:55 
Midshipman

I haven't actually done anything yet! I did decide what to close up as I don't feel needed: speed log(contemplating), large deck wash inlet, toilet to sea, macerator output then to replace: engine water inlet(will upsize), galley sink drain, depth sounder.

The ones I am going to keep should have enough room for the triangle based deals, but if not I'll go with a backing plate and a nut and screw on a ball valve on that.

#66 Splash

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 May 2019 17:39 
Rail Meat

Zoombats wrote:
Does anyone use the Trudesign valves and skin fittings? I replaced all my Groco (37 years old) and went with all Trudesign kit on a Formosa (Peterson) 46 in Hong Kong. The Grocs were still good but the new gear just seemed to be so much neater and responsive. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. And when I haul soon I will try to add a couple with each opportunity.#337

I wouldn't recommend the Truedesign assemblies for the T37, although I really wanted to use it aboard mine. Since the bilge is so shallow, especially where the galley sink and engine intake are located, you will not be able to fit the ball valve straight and will have to get a 90-degree elbow between the through-hull and the ball valve. This will, unfortunately, make the load bearing collar obsolete, and thus not ABYC certified. Of course, I found this out after I bought the assemblies for the whole boat, but will now be switching to Forespar ones and trimming off the tip of the handles off for the galley and engine intake to make them fit. I hear that's what they use on the new Tartans nowadays.

Hull #49

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 May 2019 06:40 
Tactictian

Thanks for the tip. I had very good experience with the Tru-design kit and installation on my Formosa/Peterson 46 and during my seven years working in Honkers at a yard we replaced many ailing through hulls with the Kiwi gear. I understand the issues of space and admit that in the deeper heavy displacement hulls it wasn't as much an issue as the shallower bilge of Tartan 37. I am getting the boat ready to haul at the end of the month and will be coming to some decisions through the summer.#337

Profile Email