Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - MAST is going back in today

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 10:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MAST is going back in today
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2020 07:04 
Skipper

Mast is all done,leveling the boat on the stands and putting the mast back in today. It will start to look like a boat again. Painting behind the rudder is a tough act. Skinny little brush on a stick. That's later, though. Need to put EVERYTHING back together on the deck, get the traveler from Garhauer, put the cockpit cubbies back in (it's easier to do stuff below with the contols cubby and the stbd cubby out), paint the binnacle. NOW I'm going to pull the fuel tank as well. There's enough evidence of a Soulianis level leak, wicking inside the drawer case under the nav. Soulianis put the JB weld to it. We'll see when I get it out. Then off to the races with engine and electrical.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: MAST is going back in today
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020 12:51 
Skipper

Now we're wobbling on blowing this clambake by mid-October. It's tough. Garhauer is shipping the traveler today. But we just put the house and back 40 up for sale and have to drop everything and do clean-up, touch up and fix up for a few days. Nah. I'm out of here in October. Just have to work 24/7.

Deck should fall back into place fairly quickly. Cleats, winches, bow roller and various and sundries where I drilled out and filled all the holes.

When we stepped the mast, the starboard aft chainplate groaned when I tightened it. And the port forward chainplate - where I didn't fully repair what looks like a crash jibe crack about 2" long gong outboard - opened up. Sonofabitch to get the mast into center column. Port plates are totally cranked, STBD slacked way off.

OH and Rigrite is sending me the material for mast wedge - the 2' x 2" with 1/4" lip rubber stuff. FRIGGIN' $259.00!!! Hall Spars is no longer, and Holiday's $12.00/piece did nothing but piss off the Rigrite guy. (I forwarded the photos from here, 2014). The replacement piece comes from Kenyon Spars. It's on the Rigrite website. Frankly, that's probably the last I do business with Rigrite. What an abjectly outrageous price, but the yard asked that I not use Spartite. So I comply.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020 15:52 
Skipper

It probably is never completely leak-proof, but that's not the purpose anyway. The boys on the crane basically said they go through hell with about every other Spartite install when unstepping and re-stepping the mast. The more difficult part is unstepping. They said it can really screw up a deck if it's seized to the collar and they have to yank and yank with the crane. They've picked up boats off the stands with recalcitrant installations. Then they have to destroy it. When re-stepping, it has to be "fit." It takes some time and holding your tongue just right, I guess. But these guys aren't rocket scientists, either. I thought about using it, bought it off Defender, shipping it back and paying friggin' DOUBLE for the Kenyon collar wedge.

Oh, and I got some pictures of a really neat T37 with a Scheel keel. And real deck/rail scuppers below the toe rail made into the hull below the stainless trim. Not perfect, but a big improvement.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020 22:07 
Skipper

Maineiac wrote:
Now we're wobbling on blowing this clambake by mid-October. It's tough. Garhauer is shipping the traveler today. But we just put the house and back 40 up for sale and have to drop everything and do clean-up, touch up and fix up for a few days. Nah. I'm out of here in October. Just have to work 24/7.

Deck should fall back into place fairly quickly. Cleats, winches, bow roller and various and sundries where I drilled out and filled all the holes.

When we stepped the mast, the starboard aft chainplate groaned when I tightened it. And the port forward chainplate - where I didn't fully repair what looks like a crash jibe crack about 2" long gong outboard - opened up. Sonofabitch to get the mast into center column. Port plates are totally cranked, STBD slacked way off.

OH and Rigrite is sending me the material for mast wedge - the 2' x 2" with 1/4" lip rubber stuff. FRIGGIN' $259.00!!! Hall Spars is no longer, and Holiday's $12.00/piece did nothing but piss off the Rigrite guy. (I forwarded the photos from here, 2014). The replacement piece comes from Kenyon Spars. It's on the Rigrite website. Frankly, that's probably the last I do business with Rigrite. What an abjectly outrageous price, but the yard asked that I not use Spartite. So I comply.

You do not want Spartite on a T37. Trust me--been there done that. Sorry that Hall does not sell that neoprene stuff I got a few years ago to replace the Spartite. I think they charged me $26--maybe that is why they went out of business. You really do not need much in there if you use a mast boot with some giant clamps and put a canvas cover to protect that. With some silicone in the track, it has to be a storm that puts water in to the masthead sheaves to get any below. There has to be some industrial neoprene extrusion that could be used for wedge material. I was thinking that you could just wrap some of that rubber baseboard a few times to stop it from clanking against the partners. Many boats just use wooden wedges to center the mast for tuning and you do not care if they fall out. The problem with the T37 would be the metal on metal clanking- when the mast pumps or flexes-but there is nothing magic about the process. No matter what your rigger is telling you. My other boat is a racing Folkboat and tuning is an art that I am at the intermediate level of performance at this point. I am clearly never going to live long enough to become and expert.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2020 22:08 
Skipper

Maineiac wrote:

You do not want Spartite on a T37. Trust me--been there done that. Sorry that Hall does not sell that neoprene stuff I got a few years ago to replace the Spartite. I think they charged me $26--maybe that is why they went out of business. You really do not need much in there if you use a mast boot with some giant clamps and put a canvas cover to protect that. With some silicone in the track, it has to be a storm that puts water in to the masthead sheaves to get any below. There has to be some industrial neoprene extrusion that could be used for wedge material. I was thinking that you could just wrap some of that rubber baseboard a few times to stop it from clanking against the partners. Many boats just use wooden wedges to center the mast for tuning and you do not care if they fall out. The problem with the T37 would be the metal on metal clanking- when the mast pumps or flexes-but there is nothing magic about the process. No matter what your rigger is telling you. My other boat is a racing Folkboat and tuning is an art that I am at the intermediate level of performance at this point. I am clearly never going to live long enough to become and expert.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020 14:10 
Skipper

On spartite: what Maineac's yard described is exactly what happened to me when they tried to take the mast out. The crane lifted the whole boat off the cradle by the mast. It took several hours of yard time to saw the stuff out. I had installed it and put vaseline in the partners, but it did not make any difference. If you ever want to take the mast out and in, the stuff is a royal PIA. Also, I think after all these years of cruising that a little movement in the partners is not a bad thing. Immobilizing the mast in there transfers any load to the deck which is not intended to be structural. Also, if you want to do a good job of tuning the rig, Spartite can mislead you into thinking you are good when you are not.
FWIW. I can't believe someone like Rigrite would charge $250 for something to stick in there. I realize we are in the age of "never drag" $1000 anchors, but this seems like it tops the marketing blitz. Sometimes I think these guys spend more time in marketing class than learning rigging and seamanship.
Ray Durkee

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020 10:06 
Skipper

Well, the hard rubber wedges I took out (probably O.K., kinda worn, 40 years old) were just that - hard rubber. Which would transmit as much to the deck as this 2' section I'm getting. I'll photo it when I get it, but thus far I think it is exactly what . . . what . . . Holiday showed in one of his 2014 posts. I get enough discounts from Hamilton Marine to make up for it.

I think you need the hard rubber to keep the mast in column with the collar. Sure, some side pressure will occur, and I'm sure pumping fore and aft ain't fun, either.

Profile Email