Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Port scupper drain partner

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 09:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Port scupper drain partner
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019 11:19 
Midshipman

Hey! I am in the back of the boat and found a second hose tied into the port scupper drain that came from under the engine, floor and near where the bilge line ran, but it was just sitting there and not connected to anything. The Bilge pump drain is routed to starboard port scupper drain. It's not for the manual bilge pump either which runs to the drain above and aft of the starboard scupper drain. Was this a line for the shower drain box? Mine doesn't have it's own pump, drains into the main bilge. Thanks!!

#66 Splash

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Port scupper drain partner
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019 17:02 
Skipper

My shower drain is tied to the bilge pump drain but if you don’t have a fitting for it in that line, maybe it did drain through your port scupper. I’m pretty sure the T-37 was fitted with a well that took the shower and the icebox drain and emptied via a separate electric pump. It sounds like your well ( under the middle bilge board) has been removed or maybe the drain for it is just open to the bilge?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019 17:05 
Skipper

I see you say the sump drains into the bilge. I was pretty familiar with hull 51 and that boat had an electric shower / fridge sump pump so I suspect yours did at one time as well.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019 17:49 
Midshipman

cseltzjr wrote:
I see you say the sump drains into the bilge. I was pretty familiar with hull 51 and that boat had an electric shower / fridge sump pump so I suspect yours did at one time as well.

Yes! That would explain it. Must have been removed, at some point and they just the hose there! Thank you!

#66 Splash

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2020 22:39 
Rail Meat

I just purchased Hull 45 last month. I opened up the boat one day to find a full bilge and the automatic bilge pump continuously running but not draining the bilge. Troubleshooting it revealed that the discharge hose was clogged someplace aft of the engine. After crawling back there, I followed the discharge hose and saw that it ended up connected to the Port Scupper thru hull, similar to what you had described. Before the bilge hose connects to the scupper outlet, the hose is routed up high and attached to the bulkhead. There is a 1/2" brass elbow and 1/2" tee and some sort of 1/4" bleeder valve (anti-siphon?) that form a 180 turn. Those fitting were the location of the restriction. I cleaned out the foreign debris and it should be find. Before I put everything back, I will correct some previous installation mistakes. For one, the Brass elbow and tee don't have proper hose barbs, instead simple pipe nipples were used to clamp the hoses. Also, it looks like the original installation used 1" rubber hose for the entire length, but the current installation has a 1-1/4" corrugated plastic hose from the bilge to the 1/2" elbow. (note, the hose from the tee to the scupper is still 1" rubber hose). A home-made spacer was used to allow the 1-1/4" plastic hose to be clamped onto the 1/2" pipe nipple - an accident waiting to happen! But, the reason for my post is related to the 1/4" bleed valve or anti-siphon valve that is installed at the tee. I disassembled it and cleaned it up, and it looks like there was a rubber diaphragm and a paper gasket under the cap. Testing the valve with compressed air, it allows a small flow of air in either direction, depending on the pressure side. So, it's not a perfect anti-siphon valve. While I'm not worried about the few drops of water that might leak out of the valve and back to the bilge when the pump is running, I am concerned about the function of the valve to break the vacuum in the line. I attached some pictures, and am looking for any advice or comment. I haven't been able to find a similar valve on line, and I think if worse comes to worse I'll reinstall the existing valve, but maybe experiment with no rubber diagram or gasket. If it doesn't leak much water then that would be the best way to allow air to enter through the valve and break the siphon in the bilge line. Or I could eliminate the bleed valve entirely and rely on an inline check valve at the bilge pump to keep seawater from backing up and filling the bilge. Any thoughts?

Attachments:
File comment: This is the bleed valve taken apart, see the small rubber diaphragm and paper gasket
Bleed Valve Dissasembled.jpg
Bleed Valve Dissasembled.jpg [ 2.82 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: This is the 1/4" Bleed Valve
Bleed Valve.jpg
Bleed Valve.jpg [ 2.21 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: This is the elbow/tee/bleed valve assembly
Brass Fittings with bleed valve.jpg
Brass Fittings with bleed valve.jpg [ 2.31 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2020 06:43 
Skipper

You last sentence is what I'm doing. The anti-backflow or check valve is simply to stop water from backflowing into the eeny weeny bilge. It will get religiously monitored, since I've never used check valves. One I took out was doing nothing, the diaphragm having failed. In a dozen boats over the last 40 years, I've also never put an anti-siphon device anywhere but tankage, head and engine.

Somebody with better ideas might pipe up.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2020 22:10 
Skipper

I installed a Water Witch level switch on Impetuous. It is located in the valley just aft of the shower sump. Then I installed a check valve because the backflow from the through hull to the bilge was enough to restart the bilge pump. AND THEN, I had to drill a vent hole in the bilge pump outlet. Why?

Because the Water Witch comes on and stays on for 14 seconds. Which is about 5 seconds longer than the bilge pump needs to completely empty the bilge and pump air into the discharge hose. And the pump would vapor lock and not pump out the bilge the next time. The little hole in the discharge lets the air out so that the pump comes back on suction.

I also have a bilge pump light that is visible from the helm. Whenever I see it on, I start counting. As long as it goes off before I get to 15, everything is good. The last time it stayed on, a hose on the freshwater system came off it's fitting and we were pumping the water tanks into the bilge and then overboard. Root cause was owner error tightening the hose clamp. Frustrating

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email