Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Deck Moisture

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 12:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deck Moisture
PostPosted: 14 May 2007 12:25 
Tactictian

In reviewing a survey report, there's mention of a limited number of areas with elevated moisture readings.
Areas are as follows.......
1.) Around the cabin top, outboard of the companionway. port & starboard.

2.) Outborad of the sail tracks, port side, near aft of the cabin about 2'-3' in lenght.

3.) Around the base of the wheel steering pedestal in cockpit and extends about 12".

On the remarks and recommendations for repair, it doesn't say anything about these items.
Isn't moisture in the deck a sersious and exspensive action item?

Any comments would be greatly appreacited.

Regards,

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Deck Moisture
PostPosted: 14 May 2007 13:02 
Skipper

If they had no recommendations then I imagine that this is a precursor to "serious". A lot of moisture and your balsa core can rot leaving a void, which creates weak spots and cracking. So I'd take it as a warning and look into the usual suspects in those areas.

Check for backing plates and maybe think about remounting some of the things that are near the bad parts. See this thread for the extreem solution! viewtopic.php?f=4&t=145

Welcome to the Tartan clan!
Tartan

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 May 2007 14:59 
Grinder

Mustangs,

It would not surprise me if you had moisture (or water) in this area? read on.

Panacea was built in 1979, in North Carolina. She is hull # 251. One day I found water (read a lot) when replacing the eye bolt for the centerboard pennant. This is a fitting placed in one of the ?dips? in the spray shield that the lines run through. I traced the water intrusion to the far forward end of the spray hood. You have to remove the wooden slide guards for the hatch on either side and remove the sliding hatch to get at this area. There was an unsealed end of a piece of plywood, both port and starboard, that make up part of the form for the curved spray shield. Water had gotten in under the spray hood and rotted both of these. I also drilled in several places under the cabin overhead, over the chart table and found water there as well. To dry these areas, I fabricated a tool from a 1 ? inch hose cut to length and an old hair dryer to put the hot air right at the plywood to completely dry these rotted ends. Panacea was stored inside for the winter at the time and this was a job I wanted to do in a controlled environment. Drying the plywood took a long time! There was also a 1 foot square spot directly under the old centerboard eye bolt that was rotted. I cut that area out from below and replaced the balsa with marine grade plywood cut to size and fibreglassed it back in place. When the plywood ends were completely dry I used a brush on the end of a long stick to fill the rotted fiberglass areas with thickened fiberglass. This took several fill and dry procedures. And this lead to the next project? Hatch slides http://www.tartan37.com/t37forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=142

Mark

Attachments:
3 Spray Shield.jpg
3 Spray Shield.jpg [ 19.66 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
2 Spray Shield.jpg
2 Spray Shield.jpg [ 22.33 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
1 Spray Shield.jpg
1 Spray Shield.jpg [ 20.82 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 May 2007 15:01 
Grinder

Attachment:
4 Close Up Spray Shield.jpg

4 Close Up Spray Shield.jpg [ 9.58 KB | Viewed 809 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 May 2007 15:28 
Grinder

Repair under deck...
Attachment:
Centerboard Eye bolt damage repair.jpg

Centerboard Eye bolt damage repair.jpg [ 26.36 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

I also cut out a 2" hole in the plywood and filled it with thicken epoxy prior to putting it in its final resting place. Call me obsessed with water intrusion ;-)

Mark

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 May 2007 06:25 
Skipper

Panacea, I found the same problem with mine several years ago and pretty much conducted the same repair. The coaming that forms the spray shield is hollow and will fill with water over time and migrate through any available opening, which include the holes for that fairlead for the centerboard pennant, a fairlead that you don't need.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 May 2007 19:25 
Tactictian

Is this big bucks ? I would most likely have the repairs done by a shop. Any idea/ range on how much this would cost?

I Appreacite any further comment on this.

Regards,

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 May 2007 07:34 
Grinder

Mustangs,

I think it depends on?

If there is moisture or water, how far is the intrusion (if any)

How much damage there is (if any)

How much disassembly and reassembly must be done to access these areas

What the going rate is for the yard / shop

Be sure to get a written estimate or quote prior to having the job done describing in detail what is to be done, how long it will take and what will happen if the job is more extensive than originally thought after the area is opened up and exposed.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011 21:48 
Skipper

Just to show that these posts are read.

I just finished tracking down a leak above the icebox. Finally realized it was coming from the companionway sea hood. A quick search of the forum revealed I was not the first to have this happen and I saw how to fix the leak permanently. Thanks for the help. A near disaster averted. I thought I was going to have to tear out the handrails and rebed them. (well, that's for later now.)

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2012 12:22 
Grinder

There is a lot if good information here and lots of experience from other owners!

Mark

Profile Email