Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Port water tank leak

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 16:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Port water tank leak
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019 23:47 
Skipper

I have a crack in the outlet of the Port water tank. It is about 6 inches long and runs vertically. I was thinking about mixing some thickened epoxy or some form of caulking in the crack to see if I can seal it. It looks like the top access panel is kind of a pain to remove. Has anyone removed their Port tank in the past? Any recommendations on where to get a new one?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Port water tank leak
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2019 17:04 
Skipper

I only know of two ways to fix a cracked rotomold tank. Weld with similar material. You dig the crack out with an old time church key. Then reweld and fill the material in. The welders and materials are available online. The only epoxy that works is Gflex 655 from West. First rough up the area. This is very important, you need to flash the tank. This is done with a butane torch. Holding a couple inches away moving about an inch/sec. Then apply the Gflex over the area, no glass required, but could use some fiberglass screen. The tank is available, check out the thread on the stbd tank. It does come out, you'll need to cut glass next to the hull, to remove the top plywood, that's fun. Then pull out the old foam, did it four years ago. My crack was at the fittings hard place to repair, you might want to replace. Done holding and port, hopefully the stbd hangs in there.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019 19:02 
Skipper

Thanks for the reference. It looks like the Port Tank is the Ronco B470. The crack that I have in the tank is on the outlet fitting at the bottom. Looks like previous owner tightened the fitting too much. It runs about 5 inches above the fitting and maybe an inch below it.

Thanks for hte tip on the plywood/glass on the hull. Did you reglass the plywood in when you reinstalled?

Does the upper cabinetry need to come out? I'm trying to figure out the least painful way to remove this with the least damage Smile.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2019 06:44 
Skipper

The previous owner of Esprit replaced the port tank. He cut the settee seat about 1-2” from the hull and unscrewed it on the inboard side. No additional cabinetry was removed. The seat was screwed back in place and I have taken it up once to run wires. You will have to attach cleats along the bottom of the cut boards to have something to screw into.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2019 15:51 
Skipper

I did reglassed my plywood in. Use a multi-tool to cut it out and reglassing is easier for me to do than cleats. Been working with glass since I was 13, building surfboards. I took the lower cabinets out. They come out and go in very easily. There's a sketch on the other thread I used when ordering the tank. Let them install the fittings. Use a marine business name to get a jobbers price. While tank is out, look at the plumbing and wood in behind there. I also added drains case if the tank leaks or overflows. Use two part 2lb foam, make certain that you hold the tank down while it's expanding. Really pretty easy job, worst part was getting the old foam out.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2019 20:32 
Able Bodied Seaman

Great info on sealing water tank leaks. I have a small crack at the outlet on my starboard water tank. Have previously stopped the leak by applying sealant and pushing the tubing up to the crack to hold the sealant in place. I just ordered an 8 oz. kit of Gflex 655 epoxy ($21 from Jamestown Distributors) and will make a permanent repair.

Tom Lindsay
Hooligan #370

Profile Email