Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Cracks in bilge and behind shaft by skeg bolts

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cracks in bilge and behind shaft by skeg bolts
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019 20:19 
Skipper

I noticed some water in the bilge over the weekend and there appears to be a crack in the bilge well where my bilge pump is located. See below picture. There are two cracks in the well and the one that is diagonal in the corner appears to be slowly letting water in. So not sure where that one is coming from.

The Skeg bolts on our boat also have appeared to be leaking but there are a number of cracks between where the skeg bolts are located and where the prop shaft goes out of the hull. The second picture is under the water heater. They don't appear to be leaking right now, but I believe they were in the past. There are salt crystals that you can see in the picture.

Any thoughts on these or does anyone have any prior experience with this particular problem?

Attachments:
20190210_145304.jpg
20190210_145304.jpg [ 740.87 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
20190209_095133.jpg
20190209_095133.jpg [ 599.2 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Cracks in bilge and behind shaft by skeg bolts
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019 20:40 
Skipper

When I got my '79 T37 a few months ago, it came with a receipt for over $4,000.00 in work done at a pricey yard. The area you photographed was completely re-glassed. Very nice work. Substantial. My focus is has been (on the hard since I bought it, and it's too damn cold in the shed to work on it) on things I can do like portlight removal and prep. I don't recall that bilge space, but I'll look when I get a chance. The backing plate for the fairing nuts on mine was steel, possibly low grade stainless and quite rotted. I just had it all redone, bolts welded all the way around, pin welded all the way around, and nylocs put on. There weren't even lock washers on those bolts, and they came off remarkably easy when dropping the rudder. Your backing plate looks like fiberglass. I originally thought the glasswork had to do with a sloppy rudderpost, but everything was tight and new and I looked no further. I'll try to have a look this week, but traveling Thursday back to the V.I. from the from the frozen tundra.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019 21:17 
Skipper

Maineiac wrote:
When I got my '79 T37 a few months ago, it came with a receipt for over $4,000.00 in work done at a pricey yard. The area you photographed was completely re-glassed. Very nice work. Substantial. My focus is has been (on the hard since I bought it, and it's too damn cold in the shed to work on it) on things I can do like portlight removal and prep. I don't recall that bilge space, but I'll look when I get a chance. The backing plate for the fairing nuts on mine was steel, possibly low grade stainless and quite rotted. I just had it all redone, bolts welded all the way around, pin welded all the way around, and nylocs put on. There weren't even lock washers on those bolts, and they came off remarkably easy when dropping the rudder. Your backing plate looks like fiberglass. I originally thought the glasswork had to do with a sloppy rudderpost, but everything was tight and new and I looked no further. I'll try to have a look this week, but traveling Thursday back to the V.I. from the from the frozen tundra.

THanks. I'm having the mast pulled tomorrow to get the standing rigging replaced, and then hauled out on Tuesday. I'm planning on having the yard inspect these areas, but wanted to get some opinions from the forum.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019 02:47 
Skipper

The water in the bilge is probably coming up through the false back of the keel and voids in the keel where the ballast and epoxy slurry were poured. I've got a lengthy post about fixing that on Holiday not too far back.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019 02:49 
Skipper

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1338

Profile Email