Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Rudder Pintle

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 15:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder Pintle
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019 08:11 
Rail Meat

Attachment:
tartan 37 rudder.JPG

tartan 37 rudder.JPG [ 52.47 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hello. I've been reading up here on rudder pintle replacement and I sure could use some help and advice. If someone could send me the link to T37.com Technical Resources that shows me how the rudder support is assembled that would be great. I've tried to find it with no success. Also please look at the pictures of my rudder and let me know what you think is wrong and what I need to do. Am I correct in assuming that the pintle has dropped. Also in my case part of the skeg is tin. Is that correct. Sure could use some help Thanks

Attachments:
tartan 37 rudder3.JPG
tartan 37 rudder3.JPG [ 43.77 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
tartan 37 rudder2.JPG
tartan 37 rudder2.JPG [ 54.72 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
tartan 37 rudder1.JPG
tartan 37 rudder1.JPG [ 54.51 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Rudder Pintle
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019 10:47 
Rail Meat

Thanks for replying to my post. I'm trying to find my way around this site but can't find the tech resource you refer to on the main page for servicing the rudder and pintle. Could you please show me where it is. Thanks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019 13:36 
Skipper

It is a little hard to tell from the pictures, but I do not think anything is wrong. Someone did not fully fill the gap with putty on the top of the pintle, but that is not serious. The S&S instructions call for filling that gap with putty. Also looks like you might have hit something and loosened the fiberglass covering over the ss skeg frame where the cover meets the hull. That is cosmetic only. I would simply sand the paint off and put a coat of very light cloth (or selvage edge tape) over the area filletted with some fairing compound and sand and fair it. While you the goop mixed, fill the gap. An hour should do it. Maybe you will need a second coat of fairing compound and fairing to get it adequately smooth if you are OCD about stuff. I have been told the boat is much faster without the skeg covering, but cannot confirm that from my own experience.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019 17:42 
Skipper

Tech Resources are within this website. Go to tartan37.com. Tech Resources can be selected at the top of that page.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019 19:14 
Rail Meat

Got it Thanks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019 20:15 
Skipper

Check your PM's but that's a 3 bolt pintle, I think, and as I recall I couldn't sight the bushing. I don't remember that crack at the hull joint or in the plug below the bushing. Nor anything "tin." Wait. Maybe the wings off the back of the fairing to the rudder were some kind of metal. But I was focused on finding the bushing. I figured it had somehow slid up in the rudderstock. The entire rudderstock turns around the bushing, which is pinned to the 1" pintle pin. Mine seems to have seized, the capture pin was broken and the pintle pin weld had failed. In the shop as of the other day. Or maybe this isn't the boat at Robinhood?

Don't be spooging anything up until you've determined the pintle assembly isn't coming out for inspection or replacement. It's too damn cold anyway.

Hey you guys . . . is the fairing toast if you have to drop the rudder and remove the pintle? Seems as though . . .

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019 12:34 
Skipper

You need to cut the fairing off with some care at the hull, but you can reglass it to the hull. After you clean all the crud out of the inside. Messy but Not a big deal. Tape it in place, tab it then some cloth. Use a lot of fairing compound in the filetting epoxy for the cloth. Make sure the rudder is straight and secured while you glass the fairing in place.

Ray Durkee
Velera #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019 09:14 
Skipper

You know, looking at those photos again, and after dropping my rudder a couple weeks ago, I recall removing the pintle nuts was remarkably easy. They weren't nyloc and had no lock washers, just bigass nuts on bigass washers in a bigass blob of 5200 or something as much fun, on a stainless plate on the inside. I'd have to say they probably loosened over time. Which is why I asked the metal monkey to throw new nylocs on there when he's done playing with the stainless. It makes sense that they might be loose after 40 years (I think that's a '78). And there's only 3 pintle bolts in that one, I THINK. Can't remember. Loosening of those nuts over decades with the rudder working against them, side to side on that pintle plate would make sense, and account for that crack at the juncture of the hull and fairing.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019 16:34 
Grinder

Velera wrote:
You need to cut the fairing off with some care at the hull, but you can reglass it to the hull. After you clean all the crud out of the inside. Messy but Not a big deal. Tape it in place, tab it then some cloth. Use a lot of fairing compound in the filetting epoxy for the cloth. Make sure the rudder is straight and secured while you glass the fairing in place.

Ray Durkee
Velera #373

I've had my rudder off three times (once to replace the pintle, once to rebuild the rudder and once again to replace the skeg) and have never had to cut the fairing off. What you do have to do is remove the plug that is in the rudder gap. It is likely that you will destroy it if it is the first time in the history of the boat that it is being remove (it was in my case). I just made up another shaped out of foam insulation and covered it with a couple of layers of glass. Once the plug out and you turn the rudder to the side you can lever up the forward end of the pintle bar.

Regarding diagnosing pintle issues I found that grabbing the rudder at the base and trying to rock it side to side will tell you if the pin has come adrift. Check the clearance between the rudder top and the hull stub to determine if there is an issue with the pintle (bent or not bolted on properly). It should be close but not binding, there is a 1/8" deldrin washer around the rudder post on top of the rudder.

T37 #31
Abraxas

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019 16:39 
Grinder

Maineiac wrote:
You know, looking at those photos again, and after dropping my rudder a couple weeks ago, I recall removing the pintle nuts was remarkably easy. They weren't nyloc and had no lock washers, just bigass nuts on bigass washers in a bigass blob of 5200 or something as much fun, on a stainless plate on the inside. I'd have to say they probably loosened over time. Which is why I asked the metal monkey to throw new nylocs on there when he's done playing with the stainless. It makes sense that they might be loose after 40 years (I think that's a '78). And there's only 3 pintle bolts in that one, I THINK. Can't remember. Loosening of those nuts over decades with the rudder working against them, side to side on that pintle plate would make sense, and account for that crack at the juncture of the hull and fairing.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT use 5200 or you will regret it the next time you have to remove the rubber say to replace the skeg or rebuild the rudder, both of which I had to do. I use 3M 4000 and it still was a bear to remove, 5200 would have been impossible.

T37 #31
Abraxas

Profile Email