Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Refrigerator Insulation

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 03:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Refrigerator Insulation
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2019 14:55 
Skipper

I installed some insulation on the refrigerator over the holiday and also installed some rubber plugs in the drain holes. I went with 2 inch thick Cross linked Polyethylene foam at Zdunc's recommendation and adhered it with extreme mounting tape. I bought a huge sheet so I could do hte job 2 or 3 times more if needed, but I can always use it for additional insulation. The foam is a pretty tight fit and I might need to shave down the angle on the piano hinged lid a bit more, but I'm going to let it compress for a few days to see if it loosens up.

I removed the cutting board that was attached to the floating lid so I could attach to the bottom of the lid and also have a flat surface. We never used the cutting board so I don't view it as a loss. Cutting and shaping the foam is rather messy especially when you sand it, but it was a relatively painless process.

Hopefully this cuts down on the total current consumption of the fridge as there was no insulation before.

Attachments:
20181229_150412.jpg
20181229_150412.jpg [ 290.48 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
20181229_150410.jpg
20181229_150410.jpg [ 247.63 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
20181229_145714.jpg
20181229_145714.jpg [ 321.38 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
20181229_131804.jpg
20181229_131804.jpg [ 282.33 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Refrigerator Insulation
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019 21:01 
Skipper

Working the lids should help. I put some rubber window sealing tape around the edges of the lids to make them airtight. Blocking the drains is important—I just put a part of a flat sink stopper over each one. One more thing you might think about doing is puting a small computer fan (you can link it to the fan on your compressor and run a small #16 double wire to power it). I have reduced the run time of my compressor stubstantially since I installed one to circulate the cold off the bottom of the box—as they do in modern refrigerators. Used to be that I would freeze everything at the bottom. I built a small box for the 12v computer fan so it directs the cold upward. FWIW. Also make sure your compressor gets lots of cool air if you can. I had no trouble with my system for two year in Central America—but some times I would leave the lazerette open when I went ashore or overnight to cool things off when the engine has been running. Makes no sense to put the compressor in a hot place—it is just a heat pump trying to shed the heat it pulling out of your box. FWIW.
Ray Durkee

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019 22:17 
Skipper

I used a couple of tapered rubber plugs from home depot to plug the holes at the bottom - cost like 1.30 for both combined.

For the box for the computer fan, did you just point it straight up and put it on the floor of fridge or did you mount it somewhere else?

My compressor is installed next to the sink under the counter so I may put another small fan next to that to get some more airflow.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2019 22:59 
Skipper

Nice! Looks exactly like Holiday.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019 02:29 
Skipper

zdunc wrote:
Nice! Looks exactly like Holiday.

Yes. That's what I was going for Smile. Thanks again for the foam recommendation. I have enough left over that I could do this a few times if needed Smile.

Your website was helpful as well.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019 00:24 
Skipper

I ran some tests on how long the refrigerator was cycling today. It looks like it runs for about 6 minutes with about 12 minutes off. So Duty Cycle is roughly 1/3 and the compressor draws about 4.5-4.7A when running.

The insulation also prevented condensation on the lids which is a major plus.

24Hours *4.7A *1/3 Duty Cycle= 37.6Ah used in a 24 hour period. It's about 65 degrees in San Diego right now.

I'm going to try hooking up a computer fan as suggested to see whether that decreases the amount of run time as well. I need to figure out how to wire it in to the compressor, but I believe this doesn't look too bad for a current draw.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019 15:11 
Skipper

felizcortez wrote:
I used a couple of tapered rubber plugs from home depot to plug the holes at the bottom - cost like 1.30 for both combined.

For the box for the computer fan, did you just point it straight up and put it on the floor of fridge or did you mount it somewhere else?

My compressor is installed next to the sink under the counter so I may put another small fan next to that to get some more airflow.

I made a small box for the computer fan in the icebox and put some baffles in it so that it pushes the air off the bottom and upward. Huge reduction in run time of the compressor. Have no idea why someone has not made something like this for these applications of 12V refrigerators—I ran a sheathed #16 dual wire to the fan on the compressor so it runs with that. Modern energy efficient home refrigerators use very low velocity fans to do the same thing.
I think making sure your compressor can get some air is really important as well. I have always been amused when I deliver other boats, that many designers put the icebox right next to the engine and then put the compressor right there too. Fortunately, S&S did a better thing in most of their designs.
Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019 13:39 
Skipper

Thanks. I'll order a computer fan shortly and add that to the box. Do you have a picture of what you made?

Profile Email