Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Bedding and Backing Plates

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 03 May 2024 15:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bedding and Backing Plates
PostPosted: 03 May 2007 15:25 
Grinder

Here is a project I am glad to be almost done with. I removed all deck fittings to rebed them and noticed that there were no backing plates on anything! Only ?? washers and these were being bent and pulled into the fiberglass in many places. The holes in most places exposed the balsa or plywood core. Thankfully, there was minimal core damage in only two places.

I took the time to drill the holes a little larger, route out the wood core, refill with WEST System epoxy thickened with 406 Colloidal Silica, then redrill the holes for the correct size machine screws. This project also included the chain plates. I.

I fabricated some stainless steel backing plates using some 4 inch by 4 foot sheets of ??, 304 grade, stainless steel sheet stock. Fortunately, I had the use of a local machine shop to cut the stock to size and drill the holes for the machine screws. I bought my own cobalt drill bits in various sizes. I cut the new backing plates about 20% larger than the hardware I was using it on. The backing plates were bedded in Evercoat Formula 27, a two part plastic filler. This was to smooth out the uneven surfaces in order to provide maximum surface area contact. I drilled the holes slightly larger than the machine screws being used. Either ? -20 SS for most of the deck hardware or 5/16 ? 18 SS for the genoa tracks and bow mooring cleats. All hardware was bedded in either Lifeseal polyurethane/silicone sealant or Life-Calk polysulfide sealant (which I liked better). The Life-Calk seems to hold up better with less shrinkage. Only the winches are left and we?ll be done!

Attachments:
File comment: Everything comes off the deck!
6 Rebedding - Every thing off the deck.jpg
6 Rebedding - Every thing off the deck.jpg [ 24.08 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Redrill and fill all holes with West System epoxy.
4 Filling holes with West System..jpg
4 Filling holes with West System..jpg [ 22.04 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Tape and rebed centerboard turning block.
5 Rebedding centerboard turning block.jpg
5 Rebedding centerboard turning block.jpg [ 19.1 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Bedding and Backing Plates
PostPosted: 03 May 2007 15:29 
Grinder

Attachment:
File comment: Backing Plate - Main sheet block

1 Backing Plates Main Sheet.jpg

1 Backing Plates Main Sheet.jpg [ 61.56 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachments:
File comment: Rebedding the genoa tracks.
4 Rebeding Genoa Track2.jpg
4 Rebeding Genoa Track2.jpg [ 51.22 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Backing plates for mooring cleats and bow pulpit.
3 Backing plates bow.jpg
3 Backing plates bow.jpg [ 51.47 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 May 2007 00:58 
Skipper

Man! That's a job. I know we could use such service but I doubt it's something I'll do real soon. So how much do you charge? Snicker

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 May 2007 06:04 
Skipper

Panacea, Nice job....I've been rebedding hardware what seems like forever!!! I'm surprised your Tartan did not have any backing plates!! What year is your boat? Mine is a 1977/8, hull #59 and she had either large fender washers or backing plates out of 1/4" fiberglass with washers under the nuts. It is interesting that the construction methods would vary like that. There were some spots that they only used washers: winches, genoa track, grabrails and smaller hardware with little load, but the stanchion bases, pulpit, turning blocks all had backing plates.
It eases the little mindful worries when you fill the holes with epoxy and don't have to think about the balsa coring rotting away!!! While you have the ceiling liner out, add 1/2" foil faced rigid insulation, it will really help keep your boat cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter and has the added benefit of creating a large radar reflector, especially if you add it to the side walls.
Tom

Profile Email