Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Headliner Replacement

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 16 Apr 2024 10:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Headliner Replacement
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018 07:56 
Rail Meat

I've got a few ugly spots in on the headliner around the salon hatch and over the pilot birth. The hatch is being rebedded this spring (both hatches currently being resiliconed) and the pilot birth is old damage.
I was wondering if anyone knew where to get the headliner material. It seems to be basic brown board with a coating, I pretty sure it's Euca board but was hoping someone new a distributor other than Homey Depot.

RJ
#388 Highlander

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Headliner Replacement
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018 08:16 
Skipper

I just replaced a piece of headliner. I was looking for the exact replacement too, but I stumbled on some plastic panel at home depot that is very thin, like a few millimeters. Its textured on one side, and unless I point it out to someone, they dont notice the difference. Benefits:
Its plastic so wont soak up water and need replacing again
Rolled it up and shoved it in my back seat so didnt need to tie it to the car roof
Cut to fit with scissors-mine was the piece on the aft of the mast so needed some intricate cuts
Since flexible, I can now remove just a few screws and bend half of it out of the way to access thru bolts from the deck

I will replace all of mine with this eventually. It will be in every Home Depot. Walk the isles in the building materials and you will find the sheets of it. The color was white. I bet they make an egg shell you could find on line if the slight difference in color bothers you, but like i said earlier, people cant tell the difference.

Last edited by zdunc on 19 Dec 2018 09:15, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018 08:35 
Skipper

I replaced mine with Komotex, from a sign shop,on the advice from somebody on this forum some years ago.
(Presently sitting in north palm beach waiting to cross !)

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2018 14:11 
Rail Meat

I replaced mine with 3/16 pvc board that I purchased in 4x8 sheets from a shop on long island whose name escapes me, it worked out well.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2018 11:12 
Midshipman

zdunc wrote:
I just replaced a piece of headliner. I was looking for the exact replacement too, but I stumbled on some plastic panel at home depot that is very thin, like a few millimeters. Its textured on one side, and unless I point it out to someone, they dont notice the difference. Benefits:
Its plastic so wont soak up water and need replacing again
Rolled it up and shoved it in my back seat so didnt need to tie it to the car roof
Cut to fit with scissors-mine was the piece on the aft of the mast so needed some intricate cuts
Since flexible, I can now remove just a few screws and bend half of it out of the way to access thru bolts from the deck

I will replace all of mine with this eventually. It will be in every Home Depot. Walk the isles in the building materials and you will find the sheets of it. The color was white. I bet they make an egg shell you could find on line if the slight difference in color bothers you, but like i said earlier, people cant tell the difference.

This is exactly what I just redid ours with. I replaced the entire cabin - with the exception of the the sections under the side decks. The major bonus was that because it was so thin, I now have full standing headroom just about everywhere. It was that last 1/4 inch that did it for me Smile

Profile Email