Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Birch inside coach house?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 12:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Birch inside coach house?
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2018 17:07 
Skipper

I'm thinking, instead of carefully treating all sides and edges of 1/4" lauan and painting it satin white as I go through this portlight replacement (original stuff has a little rot), I might go with 1/4" birch veneer and a satin finish. Too much clash with the rest of the wood? I was thinking white up there just to lighten things up. 7/16ths coach thickness. No wonder I read where someone was watching their traveler "pulse" up and down.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Birch inside coach house?
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018 06:23 
Skipper

I have seen a couple interiors where the teak ply was painted white and I think it’s an improvement. I’ll bet birch ply would look very nice. Going over the teak ply will be a challenge because of the lower trim. Replacing the teak ply will be a big job as well. I think I read that are already replacing the ports so the space will be ready for whatever you decide.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018 07:08 
Skipper

If I were replacing ports, white formica would get apartment applied to the sides of the coach house. A little bit of dark trim is enough for me.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2018 08:30 
Skipper

I've looked around the usual places for white (satin, preferably) formica. I think I have to order simply because the crap they sell at Homedep and Lowe's is substandard. Thing is, the existing ply is 1/4" and of course the formica is very thin, requiring some thinking to accommodate/replace the 1/4" thickness. Which is what made me consider sealing/painting 1/4" ply instead. Newfound ports are ordered with all the bells and whistles, including the teak trim pieces. Richard was very helpful with everything, being very careful to make sure I got the right length fasteners.

On another subject, in the past I used Cetol (satin, original) on the cabin sole (jeez, almost 20 years ago) and was very happy with the result and wear. This sole isn't the teak and holly, but rather solid pieces of ply. I also used Cetol interior and exterior and thought it was the easiest thing to deal with in the Caribbean sun. I did Bristol Marine Varnish one year, very carefully, on the exterior teak, and it was a complete pain in the ass, gone in 1 year. Back to Cetol. Is this stuff still the same formula and results? I remember it was kinda orangey, but it's durability was great.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2018 12:30 
Rail Meat

We had some damaged wood around the old leaky windows and pondered making the sides white in some way. Decided just to see if we could save the teak at the last minute and sure glad we did. The damaged wood sanded up just fine and with a high gloss varnish it came out stunning!!! With the led lights in the headliner the cabin has been totally transformed into a light filled masterpiece, absolutely gorgeous. A dimmer allows perfect control whist consuming minimal power.

Attachments:
IMG_2623.JPG
IMG_2623.JPG [ 549.82 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_2615.JPG
IMG_2615.JPG [ 621.52 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_2609.JPG
IMG_2609.JPG [ 578.87 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2018 01:42 
Midshipman

jClubley wrote:
We had some damaged wood around the old leaky windows and pondered making the sides white in some way. Decided just to see if we could save the teak at the last minute and sure glad we did. The damaged wood sanded up just fine and with a high gloss varnish it came out stunning!!! With the led lights in the headliner the cabin has been totally transformed into a light filled masterpiece, absolutely gorgeous. A dimmer allows perfect control whist consuming minimal power.

That looks super good! I'd be very interested to hear about the process, cleaner and the varnish you used. Our teak is very dark from years of oil as well. Would love to brighten it up.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 May 2019 11:09 
Rail Meat

Sorry, have not checked back here in awhile.
To answer the question 'how we achieved the results':

All we did was sand it... nothing else.
Had to be somewhat careful not sand thru the veneer however there is enough to get to 'new' teak. Probably sanded heavier than most would feel comfortable as we did not think we could save it. There was a lot of sawdust.

After that we vanished with 'Interlux Schooner Varnish'. High Gloss.
The pictures only have 2 coats, more coats and it would look even better!

The rest of the cabin had already been lightened and varnished by the PO. We cleaned it up some and applied a couple coats of the same Interlux varnish. Not sure of the process the PO used to lighten it.

As you can see it came out great.
The stainless windows and the dimmerable LEDs really set it off the varnished wood. Its a big job but absolutely transforms the cabin.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 May 2019 08:17 
Skipper

Yeah, mine I had to cut out up to 2' sections around the portholes. It's attached directly to the laminate with resin. Real pain. There was rot in certain areas due to cracks in the plastic ports. Didn't extend very far, but wouldn't allow for refinishing anything. So I'm replacing the ply around each port and painting it white with teak batten strips covering the seams. Thank God for the multitool. That plywood was a bear to remove.

Profile Email