Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Batteries

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 25 Nov 2020 00:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Batteries
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2020 18:55 
Skipper

I am going out to my boat next week and will take a picture of the reefer gasket arrangement. I think you other ideas make good sense about the alternator. Truck alternators get doused with water and salt and mostly keep running. The bugger with our boats is heat. Heat drives down the output really fast. it is good you have a monitor.

Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2020 22:16 
Skipper

I cut the 2" semi-soft foam for the lid so it seals on the sides.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2020 11:01 
Rail Meat

Just posting an update on my alternator, regulator and battery situation. I initially called the local guy, Kennedy, for a recommendation. He simply pointed me to a Balmar solution. I guess I wasn't satisfied with this so after visiting the Compass Marine Services site I decided to see what Maine Sail thought. Here is what he said:

Our CMI / AMP-IT 105-ER is a 105A alternator that will drop right into that application. If you pair this with a Balmar MC-614, and dial it back using Belt Load Manager to Level 4 (for the belt), and both temp sensors you have a really nice little system for far less than a Balmar.

So, I went with his suggestion. Cost is about $800.

Provided with some small mods I can get two US Battery US 12VRX XC2 or two US AGM 12V150 into my battery tray, I will have a pretty decent solution with 300ah of capacity.

Hoping that this system will meet my needs. Still concerned about getting a full charge from the engine in a reasonable amount of time.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2020 14:11 
Skipper

I think Maine Sail gave you some good advice if a bit over the top as usual. I still think there is no better option than good old golf cart batteries for ruggedness and cost. I believe you should not have a system on your boat that you do not completely understand, because--sooner or later--you will have to fix it. But there is nothing magic about BalMar stuff despite its powder coating and breathtaking cost.

I agree you are going to have to find another way to top off your batteries because smart regulators and large capacity systems is always a recipe for chronic undercharging. You can use a smart shore charger if you are in a marina. If you are cruising or on a mooring you need a solar solution (+ or - 100 watts)array and regulator). You do not really need too much of a solar array for topping off. The acceptance rate at the end of the charge cycle is really low and it makes no sense to be collecting more amperage than you need. The problem is a need for small amperage over a longer time from your "topping off" source. A panel on the dodger should be enough. Be sure to get one that is shade tolerant.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2020 06:44 
Rail Meat

Thanks Velera. I received the following from Maine Sail in response to a question about the new system's ability to top off:

Jesse,

It will be a much better fit than what you had as internal regulators are really poor at getting the most current into the bank. That said, a typical deep-cycle flooded lead acid battery will take 6-10+ hours of charging (depends upon battery health) in order to get to a true 100% SoC. The last 4% takes longer than the first 46% if starting at 50% SoC but an external regulator will help you maximize how quickly you can get energy into the bank. What you will gain is accurate voltage sensing, which means longer bulk charging, which means more energy into the bank before the regulator becomes voltage limited. You will also gain the ability to custom set your voltages to the max allowable, to charge based on battery temperature, the ability to limit the load on the belt, the ability to not over-heat the alternator etc., etc...

Since you suggested solar, do you have any suggestions for an adequate system? FWIW, I am at a marina and I have a Statpower True Charge 20+ amp multi stage charger.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2020 14:22 
Skipper

I'm on the third coast and we get plenty of sunshine.

I have a WM battery charger. I think it is the 2610 so it charges both the house and start batteries at 5 amps. Mostly, tho, the breaker is turned off.

I have two 95watt panels over the helm seat of the bimini.
Attachment:
Rebuild 026.jpg

Rebuild 026.jpg [ 145.7 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

These are attached to a Morningstar Sunsaver Duo charge controller. The output is set for 90% house and 10% start. The outputs are wired to two FLA house batteries and one FLA start battery.

AFAIK, the Morningstar only has settings for sealed and flooded batteries. I've been using this system since 2012 with no problems.

Your mileage may vary.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email