Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Starboard water tank replacement

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Starboard water tank replacement
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020 18:11 
Skipper

The saga continues. The plastimo bladder didn't hold up well to cruising and ocean crossings. After going through two with holes and seam busts and lots of flex tape repairs, we decided to try something different and not buy a third. We went with the Vetus 42 gallon. It's smaller than the Plastimo, and Vetus even has a 50+ gallon bladder, but the Plastimo didn't match the dimensions of the space, and we never put more than 42 gallons in it anyway because it would expand too much. So, the 42 gallon Vetus actually fits the footprint of the starboard settee (the 50+ Vetus would have been like the Plastimo and crawled up the sides...that's where all the holes happened).

Anyways, the Vetus is definitely a more robust bladder than the Plastimo was. Will report back how it goes. If this doesn't work, we'll either try to epoxy in an integral tank to the hull and settee frame (would definitely give the most tankage) or have someone build us a custom tank (which is $1500+).

Best is you all hope you never get a hole or crack in your starboard tank....

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2020 21:33 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thanks for providing an update.

Converting to bladders and replacing all existing water lines is on our project list. I plan on following your lead on this. Hope the Vetus bladders perform well for you.

Thanks Again-

Hull #459

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2020 09:37 
Skipper

Install of the Vetus went well. We were a little concerned about the Vetus instructions of cutting the outlet port on the top of the bladder. The Plastimo was on the bottom corner and seems like the best way to empty all the water. It did however crimp the hose sometimes under the weight. But, we followed the instructions, and it works really well. The pump completely empties the tank even with the outlet port on top. When removing the deck fill cap, could even hear a hiss as the pump created a vacuum pulling everything out.

I think one reason for this is we also took the opportunity to buy a new water pump. Got rid of the old boxy one with the exposed belt that bounces around on the 4 rubber feet and bought the regular latest Jabsco pump you see at West Marine, model 31395. The pump is quieter and provides even flow without an accumulator. Think it does a better job of keeping prime and sucking out all the water from the bladder.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2020 20:38 
Navigator

Zach, how is the Vetus bladder holding up now that it's a few months old?

We tried filling the starboard tank for the first time today. Found lots of cracks in the top, leaky inspection ports, and then the hose fitting for the tank outlet fell apart. Given the number of previous patches and repairs (it's the original, 40 year old tank), we think it's time for a replacement.

Anybody else got an opinion on the best replacement strategy?

Thanks.
Mike

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2020 10:27 
Skipper

Vetus is still 100%. We haven't done anything too strenuous yet, but we've been through a couple of hard sails between Carriacou and Grenada over the past couple of months. It seems like a very sturdy option. I don't foresee the same holes developing that happened with the Plastimo. I still might have a hard plastic tank constructed one day when we are back in the states. But, custom tanks are really expensive, so maybe not.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 May 2022 13:50 
Skipper

Well here I am. Having replaced the holding tank, the port water tank, repaired the fuel tank, now the starboard water tank is leaking. Couple options, pull the existing tank out and repair or replace. I would prefer to replace. I've call Kracor to buy a new 5069 tank, they will only sell that model tank to Tartan. So have left a message with Chris at Tartan, hope to hear back. I do think I could weld repair and then patch with West G-Flex and fiberglass mesh. The last option, less invasive is cut tank top out and install a bladder inside. Another is the most expensive is to have a tank custom made. Actually having a hard time with a quick look to seeing how the tank comes out. The Port water tank, I took out thru top and that went pretty well. A question for Zach if he happens by. Do you think a 42 gallon Vetus tank would fit inside the existing tank and are you still happy with bladder, would you do something different? Any thoughts guys?

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by puffcard on 10 May 2022 07:29, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 May 2022 12:18 
Rail Meat

There are several posts on using a Ronco tank for the holding tank, but depending on how flexible you are about capacity, you may find an inexpensive one that would fit in that area - they offer a large varity of configurations. Ronco cuts the ports to order.
Good luck.

https://ronco-plastics.com/

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 May 2022 23:25 
Skipper

Good news, Chris responded quickly from Tartan. He called back Monday to let me know they can help in getting a new stbd water tank. He stated that Tartan has 4 tanks on order and one is spoken for and I can have one. Expected to be shipped in 4 weeks. Also he stated that he is in the process of buying a 1979, T37. I'm hoping it goes well.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 May 2022 18:43 
Skipper

Excellent, what cost are you looking at? Would like to replace mine also

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 May 2022 22:42 
Skipper

New tank is about $870. There is a guy near me that does plastic tank builds and repairs. Mine has leaks at both the outlet and vent NPT fittings. He said at 43 year old, he recommended to replace. The tank is the hardest of the four tanks to replace.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next