Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Starboard water tank replacement

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Starboard water tank replacement
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2022 15:33 
Skipper

puffcard wrote:
Good news, Chris responded quickly from Tartan. He called back Monday to let me know they can help in getting a new stbd water tank. He stated that Tartan has 4 tanks on order and one is spoken for and I can have one. Expected to be shipped in 4 weeks. Also he stated that he is in the process of buying a 1979, T37. I'm hoping it goes well.

I'm thinking that spoken for tank is for me Smile. I've been going back and forth with Tartan to get this on order the last 2 months and finally got the order placed. I'm hoping that it shows up in mid June as promised. Glad they placed an order for a few more as it seems like a number of other owners are having the same issue.

I'm also planning to replace the port tank and holding tank, but I'm going to go with Ronco for those tanks.

I'm probably going to get the B470 for the port tank and the B501 for the holding tank or maybe see if the B470 can fit to get some more capacity. Ronco had about a 20 business day lead time on tanks right now.

On the holding tank I'm considering moving the fittings to the top of the tank.

On the water tank I'm planning to match fittings exactly as the Kracor tank.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2022 08:36 
Rail Meat

If you haven't seen posts on the holding tank change to Ronco B445 - 35gal you may want to consider it.

After seeing the posts of others, that's the change I made after removing the entire system except the bowl. The B445 fits perfect under the V-berth in the center (fore / aft) and spans from port to SB. I used 8lb expanding foam to fill the small gap diff and added a SCAD level meter in the head. Attached is the cutout drawing I sent to Ronco. All the plumbing is sched. 40 PVC (bent with a heatgun) except short runs of Shields Poly-X hose where needed (guaranteed to never odor permeate). Sealand makes a hose-to-PVC adapter.

It all makes for a great system. I had a detailed post with materials and images, but you won't find it in Search. All my 370 or so posts were lost in the clean-up to rid the site of the Arabic posts. I can add more on this if there is interest.

Attachments:
RONCO B445 with Dimensions.jpg
RONCO B445 with Dimensions.jpg [ 159.14 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2022 09:19 
Skipper

Thanks. The larger holding tank would be nice, but I'm concerned about loosing all that storage under the V berth. I store our rainman watermaker membranes on the port side and I think that would require a new location if I added the larger holding tank.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2022 12:39 
Skipper

Chris called and said the stbd tank should ship from Tartan in the next day or two. Looking forward to getting the boat back together...if I can remember how.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2022 11:35 
Skipper

My tank arrived in San Diego, I need to go pick it up and install it on the boat in Mexico. Total cost was about 1200 including shipping.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2022 17:07 
Tactictian

puffcard wrote:
Chris called and said the stbd tank should ship from Tartan in the next day or two. Looking forward to getting the boat back together...if I can remember how.

I'm wondering if you have updates on your tank replacement. Any pictures or advice on how to do it? Thanks.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2022 10:32 
Skipper

jfalsone wrote:
puffcard wrote:

I'm wondering if you have updates on your tank replacement. Any pictures or advice on how to do it? Thanks.

I just replaced my starboard tank with the Kracor replacement from Tartan a few weeks ago. I was able to remove the tank without damaging or cutting anything. I had to use a very long screwdriver to remove the front panel. I was able to get between the tank and the panel to reach the screws at the very bottom by the cabin sole and also the screws that are vertical on the backside of the refrigerator. Once that was removed, I had to undo a few screws on the angled panel closer to the front of the boat and remove the trim piece. The top piece holding the tank down was loosened at the two ends, but couldn't be removed due to the metal rod that extends through a hole in it. This didn't matter as I was able to separate the tank and remove it through the front. I had to remove the main output fitting in place to get the tank to slide out, but it came out intact. The tank was spray foamed in so I had to lift it to separate it from the foam. The old foam was the same shape as the new tank, so I didn't have to add any more when installing the new tank.

Installation was just the reverse of removal. Make sure you install the fittings in the direction you'd like to have them at final install. I installed the bottom outlet after installing the tank. So far no leaks.

I do have my old tank, which has a crack around the deck fill, but I sealed it with 4000UV, if anyone wants it. It still holds water and would save you a significant amount of money depending on where yours is damaged. If anyone wants it, they can have the tank. I'm in Puerto Penasco, Mexico right now about 4 hours south of Phoenix.

Attachments:
IMG_20221025_111415.jpg
IMG_20221025_111415.jpg [ 2.06 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_20221025_130110.jpg
IMG_20221025_130110.jpg [ 3.17 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_20221025_125702.jpg
IMG_20221025_125702.jpg [ 3.87 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_20221025_124304.jpg
IMG_20221025_124304.jpg [ 3.97 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2022 12:00 
Tactictian

Thanks Felix. I appreciate the details. Are all the pics of the old tank?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2022 19:45 
Skipper

Yes. All of the pics are the old tank.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2022 20:50 
Skipper

jfalsone wrote:
puffcard wrote:

It goes in ok. The hardest part is we use 4lb 2-part foam and it sets up very fast. First try the tank was too close to inboard. So ripped it back out and scraped the foam out. Makes certain that you have fittings are installed and figured out. The old tank, the outlet went thru the deck. We didn't do that and went out the side with straight fitting. We pushed the tank outboard as much as we could, during the installation. We also epoxy the area. Fitting the cabinets corner was a trick and had to shave a little off with table saw...be very careful. Tank is doing well. Glad we replaced it before going south. I also have a repairable tank in Virginia, for the taking. I don't have any pics of new tank installed.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next