Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Finding things . . . in lockers . . . can't identify

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 06:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finding things . . . in lockers . . . can't identify
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2018 12:02 
Skipper

Getting everything off the boat to work.

Last edited by Maineiac on 01 Oct 2018 09:08, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Finding things . . . in lockers . . . can't identify
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018 08:43 
Skipper

A note on sails: I have just recently ordered new sails through Quantum. Discovered an interesting thing while shopping different sites/companies. The dimensions for what all of them list as Tartan 37c-1 were different than what my boat was. The confusion went on for a while until we discovered that the dimensions for what we all call the Tartan 37 or Tartan 37c are listed in all the sail databases as Tartan 37-2 Or Tartan 37c-2 (obviously different from Tartan 372, the next model chronologically).

At any rate, check that sail. It may be for your boat.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018 09:15 
Skipper

Where are you guys?

Last edited by Maineiac on 01 Oct 2018 09:15, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018 15:57 
Skipper

We're hanging out in the Annapolis area for another month or so then will start heading south. Got a few more boat projects going to keep us busy.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018 23:36 
Skipper

I agree with zdunc, I bought sails and the sail-makers refer to the T37 as 37-2. Did you find the battens for the mainsail?

Zdunc, you bought from the Annapolis Quantum loft? I gotten few sails from them, great cut, always fast. What size jib did you go for and what was the price if you don't mind me asking? We're cutting out to head south later Oct, to Fla and Bahamas.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018 07:03 
Skipper

Yup, 4 brand new battens.

Last edited by Maineiac on 01 Oct 2018 09:12, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018 08:06 
Skipper

I've had the rudder pintle made twice, material SS316 and Delrin are available and cheap. We have a few big shipyards here and the scrapyards get some good stuff. The machine shop can turn it around in a couple days. Maybe cost $150. Make the pintle and buy the fairing.

To drop the centerboard, I have the yard lift and hold. Don't think the boat can be blocked up to do it. You don't need the mast pulled to do that. Does need to be pulled if working on the fairlead pipe

Nice find or the sail and gear.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018 08:08 
Skipper

Wow. Ampair.

Last edited by Maineiac on 01 Oct 2018 09:09, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018 13:15 
Skipper

Yep, Quantum Annapolis. We're on a friend's dock in Lake Ogleton currently so it's literally about a mile away. We went with a 110 headsail. Our current headsail is somewhere between a 135 and a 150 and in great shape. Last year when we went to the Bahamas, we had it reefed in most of the time to at least 110. So, figure when we're on the thorny path this year, we'll just put the new 110 on and leave it with the ability to reef in even further upon any dirty looks from the Admiral, then switch to the bigger head sail if we ever do any down wind runs or light air (which seems to never happen going down island in the winter, lol). The headsail was $2603.03 (with the 15% discount they were offering). The only extras we got was the foam luff ($260.51) and sacrificial Sunbrella ($567.34).

We did save a few bucks as well by going with Challenge Fastnet as our fabric. When we told them we care nothing about speed/racing and only cruising/durability, they quoted Challenge Newport AP (all purpose). I did a little reading and found the Fastnet material seemed to be even further the direction we were wanting. Was even happier when it turned out less expensive. Sail makers are baffled by people like us that are wanting their super fast boat to slow down and be more comfortable, lol. I think they are normally having to talk people down to the Newport AP from something "racier" that will degrade quickly in the tropics.

The main was $3008.56 with the 15% discount. Our current mainsail is super old, and we're really excited about one that may actually aid in sailing instead of just hanging there. The included extras we got there were slide upgrades ($82.33), Tartan insignia ($54.16), and Dutchman Fairleads kit ($576.14). We went with the better tapered battens 2 full and 2 mid, so that would be some extra over non tapered battens and none full, but I don't have the break down on that.

The bottom line is that with the 15% discount Quantum became the same price or slightly cheaper than the other options around. And, they come out to your boat to take measurements, then install the sails and make sure the fit is right. Some of the other places we went just take the stock Tartan dimensions and you come pick up the sails when they are done. Without the 15% discount, I may have went with another company, but with it, it was a no brainer.

Puffcard, we are on a similar schedule. Would love to meet up with you in the future and cruise and talk Tartan Smile

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018 14:46 
Skipper

Thorny path.

Last edited by Maineiac on 01 Oct 2018 09:09, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email