Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Finding things . . . in lockers . . . can't identify

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 15:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Finding things . . . in lockers . . . can't identify
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018 15:21 
Skipper

You'll love the 110%. That's what we got 3 years ago and very surprised at the versatility. After three winters south, we don't even carry the bigger sail anymore, instead op for the cruising chute. We had it made from Challenger Marblehead 8.8oz, triple switched and tough as nails. Goes upwind and tacks like a dream. Has a much better low end than you would think. Very easy to see under and to furl. If you come by Mile marker "0" in Norfolk Va. before late Oct, drop a PM.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018 10:56 
Skipper

Working on rudder.

Last edited by Maineiac on 01 Oct 2018 09:08, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018 21:48 
Midshipman

zdunc wrote:
Yep, Quantum Annapolis. We're on a friend's dock in Lake Ogleton currently so it's literally about a mile away. We went with a 110 headsail. Our current headsail is somewhere between a 135 and a 150 and in great shape. Last year when we went to the Bahamas, we had it reefed in most of the time to at least 110. So, figure when we're on the thorny path this year, we'll just put the new 110 on and leave it with the ability to reef in even further upon any dirty looks from the Admiral, then switch to the bigger head sail if we ever do any down wind runs or light air (which seems to never happen going down island in the winter, lol). The headsail was $2603.03 (with the 15% discount they were offering). The only extras we got was the foam luff ($260.51) and sacrificial Sunbrella ($567.34).

We did save a few bucks as well by going with Challenge Fastnet as our fabric. When we told them we care nothing about speed/racing and only cruising/durability, they quoted Challenge Newport AP (all purpose). I did a little reading and found the Fastnet material seemed to be even further the direction we were wanting. Was even happier when it turned out less expensive. Sail makers are baffled by people like us that are wanting their super fast boat to slow down and be more comfortable, lol. I think they are normally having to talk people down to the Newport AP from something "racier" that will degrade quickly in the tropics.

The main was $3008.56 with the 15% discount. Our current mainsail is super old, and we're really excited about one that may actually aid in sailing instead of just hanging there. The included extras we got there were slide upgrades ($82.33), Tartan insignia ($54.16), and Dutchman Fairleads kit ($576.14). We went with the better tapered battens 2 full and 2 mid, so that would be some extra over non tapered battens and none full, but I don't have the break down on that.

The bottom line is that with the 15% discount Quantum became the same price or slightly cheaper than the other options around. And, they come out to your boat to take measurements, then install the sails and make sure the fit is right. Some of the other places we went just take the stock Tartan dimensions and you come pick up the sails when they are done. Without the 15% discount, I may have went with another company, but with it, it was a no brainer.

Puffcard, we are on a similar schedule. Would love to meet up with you in the future and cruise and talk Tartan Smile

This is all awesome to read. We're looking to upgrade our sail inventory, and were thinking 125% for the headsail. To hear you were reefed in further than that most of the time in the Bahamas means we're on the right path.

Do you have tracks on the cabin roof? How will the 110% sheeting angles work? Are you going to need any modifications? Do you think going with such a small headsail will seriously limit your light wind sailing? When would you resort to motoring with a sail this small? How do you think this sail will affect the balance of the boat.

I ask all these questions as somone looking to move down from our 155%.... We are way overpowered 80% of the time with no ability to maintain sail shape when reefing. So I'm really excited for the upgrade, but just want to retain our ability to sail in light air.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018 08:23 
Skipper

Our tracks are in the standard places, I believe. One on the toe rail (that we never use) and then the one on the deck running from the primary winch to just forward of the first port light that we always use. I'm not thinking we'll need any modifications. Hope not. 110 is a normal size, I think. 110 is still past the mast and the stays so it wouldnt work to add tracks and take it inside those to the cabin roof. Maybe someone more experienced on here than me can chime in on that. The guy at Quantum took a bunch of measurements at the boat, and the only thing he mentioned was that with the track placement, the clew would be pretty high up. I asked him if that would be a problem, and he said no, he was just letting me know.

As far as light wind sailing and motoring, we were going east/down island into the Bahamas for about a month and a half. There may have been one or two days when the wind was more than 60 degrees off the nose from where we wanted to go. Actual wind speed was always 10-15 or more, making apparent wind from those angles 15 to over 20. We go for comfort over speed and usually reefed back to 110 around 15 then tried to roll in more as we approached 20 plus. Keep in mind, this is bashing into steep chop on the Bahama banks too.....always. 110 worked fine, and we really didn't lose much speed in those conditions. Reefing more though would make it tough to point. I'm hoping that the 110 will be perfect for us in 10-15 actual (15-20 apparent) and allow us to roll in a little more when we feel like chilling out and still point 45/50 or so. I think that somewhere between 4 and 8 knots actual (7-11 apparent) from the wind direction we experienced (pretty much always 45-60) would be where we might have to motor sail instead of sail with the 110 to make any time. The wind in the winter/spring was never that light. If I'm wrong or conditions are different this year, I'll be using the big sail which we still have a lot more I guess. What I'm really hoping is this 110 will make the Admiral more comfortable where we'll be able to go out in 15-20 actual (20-25 apparent), but we'll see. The plan is to be doing a multi month cruise down into the Caribbean and then stay for maybe years, so I'mtrying to make it as comfortable as possible so I don't end up in an RV next year. Smile

On our trip back from the Bahamas, the 110 wouldn't have worked. We did 4 straight passages down wind with just the 135 up and just enough wind to fill it all the way from the Exumas back to Ft Lauderdale. During times like those, we'll switch sails to the bigger one.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018 20:59 
Midshipman

Cool, that all sounds great. Thanks for sharing!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018 17:25 
Skipper

I love the 110%. If we have 8 kts apparent we can make 5.7kts. It's so easy to see under. The standard track works well. For off the wind sailing we use the track on the toe-rail and move it forward a foot. I'm surprised by how well this sail works downwind. If things feel light we launch the cruising chute, which works from 145-75. Check out this video on Facebook. We on the Pamlico Sound with 12 kts apparent of wind shear and we're making 6.7kts with the 110% on outside tracks.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0661716362

This video is going over the bank to Long Island, this is only 8-10 kts true. The 110 is sheeted to the inboard track.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018 20:33 
Midshipman

Thanks for sharing, this is cool to hear and see. We were originally planning on a 120% but maybe smaller would be just fine...

Do you have any photos of your cruising chute? We've got a spinnaker, but I'm pretty sure it's symmetrical.

In addition to a smaller jib, what I think I'd really like for light air is a sail cut like my current 150% genoa, but out of a very light nylon/spinnaker cloth.

I'm thinking the shallower cut would handle reaching off the wind but get me closer to the wind than I currently can get with my spinnaker tacked to the forestay.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018 18:24 
Skipper

Here is another video reaching with the 110% jib. Take note of the leads and check out the speed.

I'll keep looking for the newer cruising chute video. Very easy to check the chute. Measure down from the head, one side should be longer (luff) on a cruising chute asymmetrical. Seen people fly a symmetrical like a cruising chute.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email