Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - rudder post packing gland assembly

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rudder post packing gland assembly
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018 21:50 
Rail Meat

Does anyone have a complete drawing of the rudder assembly? I know about the lower bearing assembly. Just need a diagram of the packing gland and how replace the packing?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: rudder post packing gland assembly
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018 07:40 
Skipper

Ditto. I'm going to try to do the deal today. Hopefully, when we get back from the Maine Fiddle Camp next weekend, I can lay it all out here. The boat is former "ITASCA", listed in the inventory on the website. Just scrambling to get everything done today before we go offline for a week.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018 10:00 
Skipper

I don't have a diagram but have checked/replaced the packing at least twice. It's not hard but if my memory is correct, you need to remove the steering quadrant. Below that is the packing gland. You need to remove the gland's cover plate. I think it is held I place by a few bolts. The gland itself consists of a circular groove on a plate located around the rudder post. I don't recall exactly the size of the packing. I think it was 5/16 in but can't be sure. Re-install the cover plate and tighten the bolts. I actually tightened the bolts to the max. Surprisingly, it didn't affect the rudder rotation, but didn't leak, which was the objective. Re-install the steering quadrant and you're done. Not difficult, but it's kind of a pain due its location.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018 18:02 
Skipper

Hope this doesn't constitute a high jack of the thread: there is a grease fitting on the top of the stern tube on #253: memory says it must be just below the packing. I've been unable to get it to accept grease, and don't really accept the necessity of grease with the waxed packing material. I've seen shaft bearings with grease cups that use the grease as a sealant of sorts as well as for lubrication, but why with a waxed packing gland?

Profile Email