Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - "Freshwater Boat"??

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 09:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Freshwater Boat"??
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2018 07:16 
Skipper

Just curious. How do YOU feel about a claim that a boat "spent it's life in freshwater?" This one was apparently in Wisconsin until about 4 years ago and hasn't been used a lot since. I have never put a lot of stock in the claim, but I have never really considered the whole thing. It is what it is, a 40 year old hull and rigging. I would guess salt water would be more corrosive, but after 40 years, you're looking at everything anyway.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: "Freshwater Boat"??
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2018 17:44 
Skipper

Well, a lot of the almost 500 T-37's did get sold to owners on the Great Lakes. Between their being in/on fresh water and hauled out for the winters, those boats would be preferable to me to a boat that has spent its' life in sea-water, especially tropical seawaters.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2018 18:50 
Skipper

It really depends how the person who owned the boat took care of it.....

Like.. engine... I run barnacle buster through the engine once a year,, for 24 hours. It completely cleans out any salt/sea creature deposits. I do the same for the HVAC every two years.

The deck... as long as it is kept washed and polished with a deck treatment it should withstand any salt destruction. The main thing after a sail that they washed the boat down.

I saw more electrolysis damage setting in a fresh water marina than I have ever seen in a saltwater marina...

And the bottom.... My bottom is clean longer in saltwater than it ever was setting in a lake. Seems like the sludge and mud loved the bottom in fresh water. When I haul the boat down in the Gulf we do a power wash and light sanding then paint.

That's my take on it.... having my boat in both fresh and salt water.

BUT to comment on 40 year old rigging.... I would replace it if it was salt or fresh water anyway. especially forward and back stay,,, have side stays thoroughly inspected.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2018 05:57 
Skipper

That's right . . . manufacturing in Ohio. Makes sense. It's why there's so many Hinckleys in Maine. I hadn't contemplated that.

Profile Email