Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Trouble reinstalling rudder?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 10:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trouble reinstalling rudder?
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2018 17:10 
Rail Meat

Hello

I'm having problems reinstalling my rudder... This is what is happening.. The lower half of my skeg was cut in half, so after careful alignment and a week of fiberglassing and fairing, I finally have restored the skeg to what seems to be its original shape. However, we are now having problems putting the rudder back in. Since the rudder is wider at the top than it is at the bottom, we are unable to shove it into its place without badly bending the skeg. Is this normal? I'm worried I might crack the fiberglass in the skeg or scrape the paint off the rudder. Is there a trick with inserting it or is brute force the way to go?

Hull #49

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Trouble reinstalling rudder?
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2018 18:10 
Rail Meat

Yes both the rudder and the skeg are tapered, but because of the length of the rudder shaft, It's hard to fit them inside of one another as it offsets the height (see pictures). Neither are painted yet, so keep in mind it will add a little bit of thickness.

Attachments:
IMG_7346.JPG
IMG_7346.JPG [ 1.89 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_7344.JPG
IMG_7344.JPG [ 1.87 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_7342.JPG
IMG_7342.JPG [ 2.12 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_7343.JPG
IMG_7343.JPG [ 1.91 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hull #49

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2018 13:53 
Skipper

I may be missing something but, on my boat, the upper part of the skeg has a horizontal flat surface that mates with the hull. This surface is sandwiched together, with sealant, by the pintle, which is bolted through the hull. You do all of this with the rudder installed, but slightly lowered. I hold the rudder in place with a floor jack, which I raise as necessary to install/fasten the pintle bolts/washers/nuts.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2018 14:18 
Skipper

I'm confused by what I see in the pictures. There is a rectangular opening. That seems to be the opening for the pintle. The pintle, which is bolted to the hull, fits into a 'groove' in the rudder. This is the rudder's lower support. There is a great pintle replacement description in the T37.com Technical Resources. Reference this write up and you'll see a standard pintle/skeg design. If your boat doesn't match this, you may have a PO redesign. Not sure I'd be comfortable without a pintle lower support.

Odyssey #191

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2018 08:52 
Skipper

I don't think the rudder is going up in the slot. I agree with Lunacy. The ruder and skeg has to go up together with the pintle. The skeg is sitting on the pintle as it goes up, with sealant on it. Then aligned up and bolted tight. Then fairing compound is used to fair the joint.

The upper fiberglass faring is not attached to the skeg and should be very thin on the edges. It looks like a channel that is bolted to aft vertical flat section and only has a little fairing compound on that joint, it should not be glassed to the skeg on hull. You can see the old bolt holes in your photos. On my T37, that is the original design, the fairing is wider, or opened up more. Check out the below link.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/11x3nfcjbGM168nz9

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2018 11:33 
Skipper

FYI. there should be approx 1/4 in thick delrin washer on the shaft above the rudder. If your rudder is in good shape and doesn't leak, it actually floats, and that washer acts as a bearing.

Odyssey #191

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2018 19:39 
Skipper

As Lunacy said the fairing on the skeg is what's causing you problems, trim it back, install rudder, pintle and skeg then epoxy and fair on some thin G10 fiberglass panels as new fairing,

Richard

Profile Email