Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Headsail Furler

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 03:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Headsail Furler
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2007 15:39 
Midshipman

Long story short?I broke the ancient furler that had given me trouble with every use since November when I bought her. It was one of those moments when you hear something go bang and start looking for the source. The drum broke loose from the foil. So, a new furler has now moved up the project list.

I have nearly settled on a Harken Cruising furler. It is a new product and carries an attractive price, ~$1,700. I will replace the head stay too as I need to remove the stay for the installation.

I have ordered an ATN Topclimber for the high work. This should be a treat!

Has anyone tackled this project? Any advice?

I will post some pics too.

Craig Connolly

T37 #231

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Headsail Furler
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2007 06:12 
Skipper

I added a Schaefer 2100 furler when I bought "Tortuga's Lie" about a dozen years ago and its held up remarkably well. quite simple to do, just need a lot of dock to lay it all out and if you do the installation tied up to a "T" dock, it'll be much better than in a regular slip. I replaced my head stay at the same time as well using a swaged fitting at the top and a swageless (Stalok) at the bottom, just make sure your lengths match up so your head sails have enough track. Too much track is O.K., but too little would be bad. Good luck, Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2007 19:01 
Midshipman

My system is a Furlex and came with the boat when I bought her in 1996 (the boat is a 1981). The system works pretty well and there are a number of Furlex systems on our dock on different types of boats. The problem I have is that the entry point on the foil is too high. When soloing, if I try to change headsails, I have to raise the halyard 5 feet off the deck so that when I attach it to the top of the head sail the sail is already in the sail track -- which holds it in place until I can get back to the mast. It would be much easier if the entry point was 1-2 feet lower, so I would consider this when you begin cutting.

MI Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2007 15:33 
Skipper

We're happy with our Harken for... 5-6 yrs I think. Smoooth. (and it came with a hat!! Snicker )

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2007 00:53 
Rail Meat

I installed an R35 system from Profurl in 2002 and I have been very happy with it. I would probably go with the cruising version if I had to do it over again, but only because of the rope cage around the furling drum. If the furling lead line is a little out of alignment with the furling drum, it may jump off.

The Profurl system is one of the few that allow you to use a winch to furl it, and it is the most frequently used systems by the round the world racers.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2007 22:12 
Midshipman

I completed the installation of the Harken Cruising Furler today. Wow, what a difference to the ancient relic I had. I have not been out with it yet but it sure was smooth rolling up my big genny!

The installation of the furler itself went well with the exception of the bottom of the turnbuckle. It had the wrong fitting for the Harken fitting that holds the bottom of the drum and connects to the stem fitting. UPS to the rescue and we are in business. I had the yard rigger help me remove the old and install the new. They are very easy to work with here! (Haven Harbour, Rock Hall, MD) Webmaster feel free to remove my solicitation. I received nothing for it.

The new drum is about 12 to 14 inches lower than the old and my sail will see some of the life lines. I may make up a leader and take the sail up a bit. I think I will try it with some line first.

Let me know if anyone would like to see photos.

Regards,
Craig Connolly
Recollections

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007 09:06 
Skipper

Shameless plugs are welcome... as are pics! Cool
You'll be loving that thing the first time you roll up in 20 kt winds.
By the way... did you get a hat with it?

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email