Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Leading sail control lines aft

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 05:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leading sail control lines aft
PostPosted: 04 May 2010 12:32 
Rail Meat

I want to lead the mainsail control lines aft (halyard, outhaul and topping lift).
It seems pretty simple except for where to attach the turning blocks at the base of the mast .Is the cabin roof strong enough if I use a backing plate? Is it better to get a fitting fabricated that would attach to the mast and then attach the blocks to the fitting?
I'm not sure if the cabin top could take the strain, but I'm also leery about drilling holes in the mast right at the partners.

Has anybody successfully done this?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Leading sail control lines aft
PostPosted: 04 May 2010 13:25 
Skipper

I have turning blocks for the mainsheet and vang attached to the coach roof. Seems fine. the mainsheet experiences a lot more kinetic energy than the halyard, so I think that you shouldn't have any problems, especially if you use a sizable backing plate.
Kimberlite had a stainless steel colar made from Garhauer that allowed Eric to clip blocks to it to run aft. I have a photo of it, but apparently this boards photo quota has been reached. I guess the server has a max.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 May 2010 20:10 
Rail Meat

Thanks,
I've seen the Garhauer plate and I think I can locate it such that I can get a large backing plate beneath it.
You have a good point about the mainsheet stresses being higher, I didn't think of that.
I removed that mainsheet plate when drilling out all deck & cabintop holes to oversize & doing the epoxy filler thing, then all I did was place big fender washers on it (i.e. no big backing plate) and its been fine for five years.

Looks like a project coming up, and with adding lazyjacks also, no more going on deck to raise/lower the main!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2010 20:50 
Skipper

Tortuga's Lie wrote:
I have a photo of it, but apparently this boards photo quota has been reached.

FYI, default quota has been removed. Post away.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018 13:43 
Able Bodied Seaman

Has anyone modified their sail control layout on the cabin top at the front of the cockpit? After a quick search I didn't see anything on this topic but I have to imagine some people have changed their layout.

Right now on Hull #459, securing the main sheet while sailing requires the use of one of two standard docking cleats, which is very awkward while sailing.

I have a brand new quad-rope clutch and a few Harken 150s but before we begin drilling, I was hoping to see or hear about any layout modifications others have found success with.

Would appreciate any thoughts or better yet, pictures.

Thanks-

Dan
ANTHEM
Hull #459

Hull #459

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018 20:35 
Skipper

One of the previous owners of Impetuous installed two rope clutches just to the left of the companionway. One is the spinnaker pole topping lift and the other is the mainsheet. One picture shows the rope clutch and the mainsheet winch. The mainsheet is the white one. The next picture just shows the turning blocks and fairleads to the clutch.

Attachments:
IMG_20171018_110235080_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171018_110235080_HDR.jpg [ 1.95 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Zoom in.
new dodger 2.jpg
new dodger 2.jpg [ 154.76 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018 20:51 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thanks Wayne!

I'll try to snap some pictures later this week of the current setup and post them.

Dan
ANTHEM
Hull #459

Hull #459

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018 13:16 
Skipper

I have posted about this matter before.....but I would suggest to new owners (I have own Velera for 26 years with a fair number of offshore miles) that you might be cautious about aft leading everything. Some things like the spinnaker pole topping lift, cunningham and the mainsheet are obvious if not necessary, but some aft leading just leads to unintended consequences and some practical problems if you are actually going offshore. I have two aft reefing lines led aft and they are a mixed blessing. In going offshore I found trying to lead the halyards (spinnaker, main, jib) aft created a spaghetti factory of complication and, since you need to go to the mast in any serious reefing situation anyway, was superfluous and inconvenient. Think about how you actually use the boat. You might imagine that you can complete all reefing chores from the cockpit, but I found it more convenient and safer to locate the lines where they are most likely to be used. Serious reefing, IMHO, requires a trip to the mast (to secure the sail gaskets at least, adjust the main halyard and reset the cunningham) and it helps if the lines (halyards in this example) are where you actually need to adjust them.
FWIW
Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018 13:41 
Able Bodied Seaman

Good feedback, thanks Ray.

Agreed... I'm not looking to turn the companionway into the ultimate command center.

Previous to ANTHEM I owned a Tartan Ten and on those boats it seemed each boat's sail control layout was different due to owner preference.

More curious to see what hardware and their associated layout people have found success with.

Dan
ANTHEM
Hull #459

Hull #459

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018 20:47 
Skipper

Dan,I also had an issue with the main sheet cleat,especially as I often singlehand. Solved problem by changing the main sheet winch to a self tailer.

Hull #6

Profile Email