Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Shurhold Polishers

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shurhold Polishers
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018 19:45 
Tactictian

I need to purchase a polisher.
I have narrowed down my search to Shurhold polisher
#3100 & the Polisher Pro model #3500.

I'm looking for comments, feedback from fellow T37
Owners.
Or if there's a better polisher out there for cleaning and waxing the hull , I'm all ears.
Thanks in advance.
Nick.
SV Angela Mia
Hull #336
Lake Superior

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Shurhold Polishers
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018 15:01 
Skipper

You are going to need a heckuva compressor to drive an air D/A polisher. Polishing requires so much constant air that it is nothing like the intermittent and smaller amounts to drive other tools and sprayers. I have not see the guys in the boatyards here using air tools for polishing, but maybe it can be done. I have used the Porter Cable dual action electric unit and the Harbor Frieght knock off. I am generally skeptical about the quality of some Harbor Freight stuff, but I have done a lot of work with this unit and it seems comparable construction for a lot less money. Although folks are going to foam pads, I have used them and have gone back to the 3M pads I have used in the past. I still use a foam pad to polish the wax (I use paste Fleetwax)
If you are polishing, I suggest that you go to Compass Marine (Mainesail) website and read his pages on polishing and waxing. He is obsessive/compulsive, but he also knows a lot about polishing and waxing. I have seen a lot of boats ruined by failed efforts to clean and wax gelcoat. I think if it is taken care of it can last a very very long time and is more repairable than LPU paint. But the right products for cleaning polishing and waxing are important.
Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email