Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Consequences of over-winter in water

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:48

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Consequences of over-winter in water
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2018 09:35 
Skipper

With the rather low temperatures that we're experiencing in the eastern part of the U.S., I'm wondering what issues might occur from leaving the boats in the water. Winterizing the plumbing and the engine are fairly easily performed and seem to take care of most freezing damage. Are there subtle consequences of this cold weather, such as perhaps the dripless shaft seal? The sea-water as far down as the shaft is unlikely to freeze solid (except maybe on Lake Superior), but on the inside of the boat the ambient air could chill everything to below freezing. Do folks on the Great Lakes ever leave their boats in the water over winter? Are there other systems that are vulnerable to wicked cold?
Thanks - "Aurora"

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Consequences of over-winter in water
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2018 21:38 
Skipper

I am way far south of the Great Lakes but I can tell you there are first world problems down in Pensacola, Florida.

We leave the dehumidifier on when we are away from the boat. But all this cold air chills down the bay water a bit. That colder water causes the condenser to work a lot more efficiently. I think. Anyway, whenever the day water gets down to about 60 degrees or so, the dehumidifier kicks off due to LOW freon pressure.

The cold front goes away and the tides refresh the bay water to Gulf of Mexico temperatures and the dehumidifier works again. One of these days, I need to get a technician to check out the system as it might be slightly under charged with freon.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018 15:08 
Skipper

Hey WayneH,,,, You're right down the ICW from me... my boat is at Homeport Marina, LuLu's.... I think I've waved at you one or two times in the ICW or Mobile Bay..

We have a dehumidifier and run it whenever we're not on the boat; never had a problem with it. The only thing I do in the winter is run by the boat and start the engine once a week. During those REALLY cold nights that we get occasionally, I leave the boat heater set at 50 degrees to kick on automatically.

Maybe we can have a cool one together and talk Tartan37s one of these days.

When my boat was at Kentucky Lake I would haul out every winter. One winter I didn't and besides winterizing all the plumbing, I had to add antifreeze to the bilge.
I purchased my boat in Cape Cod. EVERYONE there hauls out in the winter. They use short haulers to take the boats directly to your home if you want and bunk it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018 20:04 
Skipper

Oh, Yeah. I've been up and down the ICW a time or two. We've even stayed at the Homeport once. I have friends who lived in Fairhope, Alabama and we stayed at the Fairhope YC once waiting on an instrument part to return from the factory. There is another T37 in there.

Maybe this summer we can get together at Pirate's Cove and share a bushshacker or three. Mmm Beer

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email