Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Storing mast on deck while on Erie/NY Canal

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storing mast on deck while on Erie/NY Canal
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2017 13:27 
Skipper

I know a lot of Tartan 37s have gone down the Erie/NY Canal to the Hudson. My query is how have you handled the problem of travelling with the mast on the deck?

Did you ship the mast or if, on the deck how did you do it? (pictures would be helpful)

It seems to me that a 50 ft mast (anyone have an accurate measurement) on a 37 ft boat will make things crowded and make me feel like a 'jousting knight'. Hope I don't spear a helping dockhand.

Starting July 15, 2018 we will be living our dream and heading south for at least a year. Splice

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Storing mast on deck while on Erie/NY Canal
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2017 15:28 
Midshipman

We just completed a trip from Lake Michigan to the Gulf via the Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio and Tenn-Tom. We opted to ship the mast for that very reason. It felt like the safer, more comfortable option and really wasn't too pricey. We shipped with Albert Logistics, who does this regularly.

It made for a much more enjoyable and relaxing trip. We also didn't get charged extra dockage fees for a 52' boat Smile

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Storing mast on deck while on Erie/NY Canal
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2017 21:04 
Midshipman

I constructed X braces out of 2x4. I had one tied into the stern rail, one mid ship and I believe another at the bow pulpit. They were easy to construct and position, and the mast rested quite securely for the duration. I left all the stays attached and the furling foil and drum, and wrapped them with lines and straps against the mast. I stowed the boom on deck.

It makes getting quickly from one side of the boat to the other on deck a little slower, but we got used to that. The mast extends beyond the deck for and aft, so caution in the locks was the primary navigating concern, but we never had an incident. All of our stops were side ties along the canal or Hudson.

If I ever transited the canal again I would use the same method. We decomissioned at Smith Boys in Tonawanda and recommissioned at Riverview just off the Hudson. Both get lots of practice helping boats with their masts.

Doug Radabaugh
Kinsale T37 #22

Profile Email