Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Current weight?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 09:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Current weight?
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017 20:20 
Skipper

If you are paying by the pound, you need to worry about the weight.

If you are just concerned about the total weight, MOST tank trucks are hauling 40,000lbs with the tank not being completely full and no baffles. So slosh during starts and stops is an issue. So 720lbs of water (which is full and won't slosh) and 440lbs of diesel (also full) is nothing to the truck and trailer. The boat fully loaded weighs less than most other loads on the road. In Texas, the limit is 80,000lbs without a permit and IIRC 120,000lbs gross with a permit.

Besides, the brochure says "half load displacement is 15,500lbs" and "4'2" draft". No wonder I drag bottom as much as I do. I forgot the HALF LOAD part. But throwing the Admiral overboard is not an option.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017 00:33 
Rail Meat

Just hauled out and weighed in at just over 22,000 lbs. Empty water tanks, 1/2 tank of fuel, 180 ft of chain. I was surprised. Glad to hear others are similar.

Luego
Hull #227

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019 16:18 
Rail Meat

With all that extra weight, have any of you elected to move the waterline up? Repaint boot stripes? (Any advice and photos very much appreciated)

Hull #49

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2019 12:04 
Midshipman

SVtabularasa wrote:
With all that extra weight, have any of you elected to move the waterline up? Repaint boot stripes? (Any advice and photos very much appreciated)

We pushed ours up about an inch overall, and moved the bow even a little higher, since we sit a bow heavy with an all chain rode.

It looks much better than before.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2020 16:03 
Tactictian

Another data point - LauraT (#240) was 20K pounds today during my haul. Of course, you never know how accurate are the load cells but the travel lift guy thought within 500-1000 lb. The boat had full diesel tank and MT water tanks. Plenty of gear aboard but I can't imagine it is more than 1000 pounds worth (anchor, chain, lines, hardware, spares, tools, cookware, etc). The quoted 15,500 lb displacement is what we call "light ship" in the nav arch world. For a sailboat, that would be the base boat as delivered - no fuel, water, gear, electronics, or anything else that the owner might install or have installed as an option.

My guess is that these boats were delivered way over the 15,500 lb design weight to begin with. My boat does not float low at all and with the fuel tank full and water tanks MT it takes on a small port list. If I had access to the hull lines I could gin them up into a 3D model and then estimate displacement off of draft measurements which is how we measure the weight of ships.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2020 11:49 
Rail Meat

When i did my last bottom job and blister i put on new vinyl stripe so raised it 6 inches so bottom paint could keep waterline grounge off gel coat of hull. Less work to keep clean.
SV Tropic Star
Hull#423

Attachments:
20201125_111716.jpg
20201125_111716.jpg [ 1.01 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2020 12:55 
Skipper

Couple years ago the lift operator said we were just under 20K, around 19.5K

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2020 15:18 
Skipper

When they picked Impetuous off the ground after Sally, the crane operator said she weighs 20K. I guess I really need to stay out of the 4 foot waters. Very Happy

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2020 18:11 
Tactictian

I think all of our boats are "heavy" because they came from the factory that way. 15.5k lbs was very optimistic and perhaps S&S didn't have the information necessary to make an accurate laminate schedule weight estimate or maybe it was false advertising. Most of the boats are at or around 20k lbs. Any T37 even close to design weight would float noticeably higher - like 3-4" higher. When you look at the design profile pics the LWL is not noticeably lower.

Profile Email