Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Starboard Water Tank Removal

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 09:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starboard Water Tank Removal
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2017 09:05 
Tactictian

Hi,
Have hull #439, 1984 Tartan 37. Have leak in Starboard Water tank, cannot figure out how to remove. Top panel runs under Starboard side compartments. I see screws on outer edges of top panel, but would have to remone a good deal of cabinet wood work to fully remove , or could cut clase to where it goes under cabinets. Cannot see where front panels can be removed, no bungs or screws around perimeter. Suspect it is screwed from inside braces ? Have looked at related posts but they must be older models. Thought of cutting top and cutting tank open and installind smaller tank inside old tank. Any ideas ?
Thanks for any help. Would post some pics, but not sure how.
Have had boat 3 years, she is a beauty, have don a lot of work on her replacing systems so far. I am stuck on this one.
Thanks For Any Help,
Todd McCarthy
S/V Bleu Moon

Hull #439

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Starboard Water Tank Removal
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2017 09:54 
Skipper

We got access to the top of the stbd tank a few weeks ago. Pulled the slideout berth to full extension then started removing screws for the top pieces of the slide track so we could get it out of the way. Can't remember exactly, but some of the screws seemed inaccessible. However, we removed enough that we were able to wiggle the slideout around and remove it. Once you get here you will be able to see the inside braces and screws. You'll also see that it would be tough to remove everything and get the tank out.

We were also tracking down leaks but determined that the tank was sound and put everything back together.

This year we made friends with a couple on a Tayana 37 in the Bahamas. During restoring it they had cut the top out of their leaking tanks and used the old tank as the housing for flexible bladders. It was a very nice set up and after seeing ours, it is what I decided I would do when/if we need to do the same. Our port side fill hose fitting is cracked. I've managed to stop the leak with 100% silicon but who knows how long that will last. Let me know what you end up doing.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2017 18:50 
Skipper

My guess is that hull 439 does not have the pull out berth over the water tank. Hull 486 doesn't either and they had to replace their starboard tank. There was some pretty major carpentry involved. They ended up having a yard do the work. They follow this forum and maybe will be able to weigh in with some details. I know they are out on the water tonight but maybe you will see something tomorrow. I know this is not an easy job.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2017 20:25 
Skipper

Ah, got ya. Without the slideout, I don't have much to offer in terms of access. Still, I'd consider the flexible bladders solution. I saw it first hand on the Tayana on an active cruising boat. It looked good and like it would last, would be cheaper, and easier.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017 16:32 
Tactictian

Hi Zach,
Have been following your posts for a while, you have done a lot of work on your Tartan also. My Starboard water tank only leaks when the boat is healed, I suspect crack around top edge of tank, but cannot confirm. Leak is minor, but is discoloring my Teak and Holly sole adjacent to the tank. I like to cruise, go for a month each summer, besides smaller trips. I am located on Long Island NY, I fill the tanks all the time. I was wondering if I could minimize it by isolating the port tank and pull from starboard tank until level goes down. I think when the boat healed to starboard, with port and starboard tank valves open, water must run between tanks and equalize, thus filling the Starboard tank on Port tack ? Check Valves might be in order. Now I just put a fresh towel in compartment and change it daily when sailing to absorb the water that collects and minimize more damage to Teak and Holly. Water seems to collect at the end of the tank near the water pump compartment. All Hoses are new, I have replumbed the entire boat. Will also have to check tank connections when healed over, but do not see any signs of wetness there either. hoses are double clamped too.Thanks for your time responding. Hope your trip is going well !

Hull #439

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017 17:04 
Tactictian

Found leak in Vent Fitting Elbow on tank, I am 5th or 6th owner, tank has been leaking for some while. Vent elbow could not turn off because it hit the side of the hull. Sawed off ell and unsctrewed remaining fitting. Installed new straight barbed connector, problem solved !! Thanks for help.

Hull #439

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017 17:20 
Skipper

Awesome!

Profile Email