Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Centerboard hinge mystery solved

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 18:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Centerboard hinge mystery solved
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019 16:03 
Rail Meat

I have done plenty of research into the centerboard hinge as I was working on repairing some grounding damage that came when we bought the boat. Opinions seem to vary on what the hinge bolts into... Whether it is just fiberglass or there is an embedded plate.

My moisture meter says it was wet, but after I ground away all the damaged glass and rebuilt it, it kept saying that it was wet (30%+ moisture!). I didn't see a plate in there so I called Tartan and asked, and they said that the bolts go into the lead ballast. I didn't like what I heard, but I'm no marine architect so I just trusted in 5200 and planned on tapping the new bolts in.

We did buy new bolts. I really recommend this as they are very susceptible to crevice corrosion--ours weren't as bad as I've seen, just a few questionable spots on the head, but with all the work we were doing, we replaced them anyway. We had someone tap them as the threads seemed to be in bad condition, but they came out beautiful. Now, what did we find in there?

Bronze.

Mystery solved! I hope this helps someone!

Hull #49

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Centerboard hinge mystery solved
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2019 08:29 
Skipper

How are you dealing with getting at the centerboard and bolts? All in the slings, high blocked or dig a hole? By the way, yards can be problematic with blocking. The aft end of the keel is hollow and, blocking too far aft can delaminate layup. I have them block just aft of the centerboard trunk opening.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2019 10:24 
Rail Meat

We are blocked high about 6 inches aft of the hinges and at the end of the centerboard trunk. We plan on putting in the centerboard the day of launch. Will keep you posted. If not, message me and remind me in about a month's time.

Hull #49

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2019 07:42 
Skipper

My boat is on the hard at Indiantown FL . I removed the pivot bolts before I left. At my return the boat will be moved to the work area and the board will drop out,I want to paint and do some repairs in the trunk and to the board, I may replace the bolts with titanium, about $12 each from McMastercarr. My original stainless bolts were 50% wasted.

Hull #6

Profile Email