Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Composte Head Inquiry

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 16:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Composte Head Inquiry
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017 22:21 
Able Bodied Seaman

Good Evening,

I was not able to find much information about using a compost toilet. Has anyone made the switch and if so, any advice? Thanks.

Jesse

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Composte Head Inquiry
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017 22:58 
Midshipman

StuartSailor wrote:
Good Evening,

I was not able to find much information about using a compost toilet. Has anyone made the switch and if so, any advice? Thanks.

Jesse

We're picking ours up tomorrow. Don't have experience yet, but will check back in after a couple weeks of using it and let you know.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2017 03:06 
Able Bodied Seaman

We would like to learn more also, we don't know much yet but it sounds easier to remove waste than making a trip to a pump-out station and never really achieving a clean empty holding tank again. I'm thinking of the potential space it could save also.

San Francisco Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018 20:01 
Able Bodied Seaman

I had many expenses to contend with this past year so I elected to stay with my rarity and replace the pump. However, I am still very interested in a composte head down the road. Any feedback with your new unit? Thanks.

Jesse

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018 20:02 
Able Bodied Seaman

Of course I should have spell checked myself. Embarassed I mean Raritan of course.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018 23:30 
Midshipman

So far we're very happy with ours. We got a C-Head. We pulled out the full system including the 15 gallon holding tank in the vberth which opened up a lot of extra storage space.

The only downside is that we had to get the "Box Angled Back Model" in order to have enough clearance for the door to close which meant going from a 5 gallon bucket to a 3 gallon bucket. So as a liveaboard our time between cleaning it out is only a couple weeks when not at the dock instead of a month.

Our previous head was awful. Constantly leaking, and always smelly. There is absolutely zero smell what-so-ever when the head is not open (being used). Even then the smell is not bad, and comes mostly from the liquids. The solid waste doesn't ever seem to smell - which is amazing.

Now if we could only get rid of the diesel smell we'd be doing great!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018 11:32 
Able Bodied Seaman

Able Bodied Seaman,

I understand you had to go smaller to fit the C-Head but did you have to cut anything in the head to fit the C-Head?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018 13:08 
Midshipman

No we didn't modify anything on the boat itself. We removed the old head which left us with the glassed in "step" part of the floor pan. We attached a large piece of starboard with an overhang that has just enough clearance for the door to close. This creates enough room to rest your feet in a comfortable seated position on the step, but also has plenty of room for your feet underneath when standing.

Attached is a terrible photo... but hopefully it helps illustrate the idea.

Attachments:
IMG_6010.JPG
IMG_6010.JPG [ 1.73 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2018 11:46 
Rail Meat

Sorry to be joining the discussion so late. We installed an 'Airhead' last July and are loving it. They have two models and one has the curved to fit close to the hull. Service has been excellent. No modifications except to build a bit of a foot rest the same height as the platform. Please feel free to email me if you have any further questions or would like me to text you some pics.
John

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018 09:03 
Midshipman

Glad to see this thread and idea! This sounds like a great upgrade to eliminate plumbing, macerator, smelly tank, and free up more space under the v berth. Anybody comment on the negatives? Further improvements: could you plumb the liquid tank to empty to sea using the to-sea thru hull?

#66 Splash

Profile Email