Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Composte Head Inquiry

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Composte Head Inquiry
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018 20:48 
Skipper

I wish I knew the truth but what I've heard is this: Once urine goes into a container it has to be pumped out. You can stand on the lee rail and dribble overboard legally. Although you might get arrested for indecent exposure.

But that's just my "understanding" and no I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019 15:47 
Rail Meat

sailingsoulianis wrote:
No we didn't modify anything on the boat itself. We removed the old head which left us with the glassed in "step" part of the floor pan. We attached a large piece of starboard with an overhang that has just enough clearance for the door to close. This creates enough room to rest your feet in a comfortable seated position on the step, but also has plenty of room for your feet underneath when standing.

Attached is a terrible photo... but hopefully it helps illustrate the idea.

We are planning on doing this. What is the thickness of the starboard you used? Do you find it takes too much from your shower space? If you could go with a folding step would you choose that instead? All advice welcome. Thanks.

Ash

Hull #49

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2019 12:09 
Midshipman

SVtabularasa wrote:
sailingsoulianis wrote:
No we didn't modify anything on the boat itself. We removed the old head which left us with the glassed in "step" part of the floor pan. We attached a large piece of starboard with an overhang that has just enough clearance for the door to close. This creates enough room to rest your feet in a comfortable seated position on the step, but also has plenty of room for your feet underneath when standing.

Attached is a terrible photo... but hopefully it helps illustrate the idea.

We are planning on doing this. What is the thickness of the starboard you used? Do you find it takes too much from your shower space? If you could go with a folding step would you choose that instead? All advice welcome. Thanks.

Ash

I'd have to check on the thickness I don't remember, but guessing 5/8? We've never once used the shower... but we made it an overhang so that we could make full use of the floorspace. I don't think folding would provide a whole lot of value and certainly not outweigh the complexity it would add.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2019 07:37 
Rail Meat

Fair enough, thanks.

Hull #49

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2019 07:49 
Skipper

WayneH wrote:
I wish I knew the truth but what I've heard is this: Once urine goes into a container it has to be pumped out. You can stand on the lee rail and dribble overboard legally. Although you might get arrested for indecent exposure.

But that's just my "understanding" and no I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

The truth is, once you hit 61.5 Y.O., they take away your bladder rights and pumpout is not always readily possible, or may take an indecent amount of time.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2019 05:31 
Skipper

A few years back I installed an electric head; fit the area perfectly. I worked on a lot of large sailboats that all used fresh water from the holding tank to flush. They never smelled. No matter how much chemicals I seemed to add I always had a problem with salt water smelling,,,,even using lake water to flush made the head smell. Since I switched to using the fresh water tank to flush with,,,smell went away. Those little micro-organisms multiple quickly in salt water or dirty lake water. I use both fresh water holding tanks and with just my wife and me never seem to run short. We never use the tanks for drinking water... only for cooking, showers or flushing the toilet. For showers, we have pump dedicated to an outside thru hull where we can shower/soap up with salt or lake water then use the fresh water to rinse off with.

As for the head holding tank. The previous owners added a whale pump on the holding tank that I can manually pump out the holding tank. It exits directly out a thru hull fitting in the hanging closet. It's saved the day many times when the holding tank was full and there was no where go to pump out. I don't know how many of you have that set up but the previous owners did a lot of offshore passages where this set up was a must.

Oh, someone above mentioned diesel smell.... I got news for you. If your smelling it, your diesel tank may be leaking in the tank compartment. It only takes a small leak to create a smelly cabin.....

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2019 11:49 
Midshipman

Mike wrote:
Oh, someone above mentioned diesel smell.... I got news for you. If your smelling it, your diesel tank may be leaking in the tank compartment. It only takes a small leak to create a smelly cabin.....

Ya that was me. When we bought our boat it didn't have a smell of any kind. We started noticing a diesel smell after it sat on the hard last summer. We pulled the tank and we did have a leak. We patched it up with Bondo to make it through this season, and will be replacing it this year with a new tank this off-season.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2019 09:11 
Skipper

When you pull the tank you might save a lot of money if you have it inspected to see where the rust and pitting is. Mine was only bad in the bottom corner,, the local welding shop urged me to just have the bottom corner cut out and then re-welded.. Cost me $90,,, the new tank I was going to order cost $1000. just a thought !!

Profile Email