Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hull Restoration Medium/Dark Blue Gelcoat

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull Restoration Medium/Dark Blue Gelcoat
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017 10:19 
Skipper

The hull has been dinged, whacked, spidered in small spots, a bit of a hard spot on the hull where the foward lower knee attaches (head area chainplate). I have done 2 part linear polyurethane on a 50 foot boat (interlux yacht perfection) and it came out great. This hull really looks fugly, but since I'll be on deck most of the time whadda I care? I won't be able to see it. Is there a way to bring back that dark gelcoat, get rid of all the little goofy paint touchups and polish it back to a decent looking hull? All my boats have either been white gelcoat or I faired, primed and painted the hull with Awlgrip or similar ilk. Always white. No experience with coloured gelcoat. Should this thing get painted?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hull Restoration Medium/Dark Blue Gelcoat
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017 07:45 
Skipper

Let me admit that I hate paint--especially Awlgrip and all the two part LPU paints. If you think you have issues with touch up now, you will have a nightmare with two part LPU. It is almost impossible to match in colors because if fades and repairs cannot be sanded, like gelcoat, to "fair in" your repairs. If you paint a hull, I would recommend a "roll and tip" process of a single poly urethane paint like Interlux Brightsides. You can repair this paint with care. There are numerous Youtube videos about how to roll and tip these single paints. Done over a properly prepared substrate and with some practice---it is difficult to tell roll and tip from a spray job. I can share pictures of my Folkboat that folks think I sprayed. I consider this a two person job as the tipping must be done immediately behind the rolling. Yards like to spray Awlgrip, because it is much less labor intensive application and looks so great going out of the yard. Until you hit something or rub against a dock.
I encourage everyone who has gelcoat to try to keep it. It is a bit of a trick to learn to repair it, but there are videos on that too. Because you can sand the gelcoat repair into the old gelcoat, I have had difficulty finding my repairs and I do this just avocationally, I am not a professional.

Having said that, darker gelcoats can be difficult to match in repairs as well depending on the fading. Red gelcoat is a monster and I would not try to match a faded red gelcoat. Darker blue and black are easier. You will need to buy some white gelcoat base, some MEK, to set it off (if that does not come with the base), some of the right color (you will likely need brown or yellow to "dim" the brilliant white of the base, even if your hull is white gelcoat. And you will need tape and sanpaper levels down to 1500. You should also invest in some PVA to cover the gelcoat so it will cure--I do not recommend the "wax included" gelcoats--they seem to leave bubbles.
I have some bottles of gelcoats I have matched for my boat's two colors and a box of the stuff I need to repair dings and scrapes. My boat is 35 years old and the gelcoat generally looks new because I keep it repaired, clean and waxed.
A lot of boats get sprayed with Awlgrip at the yard recommendation ($) or when it is going to be sold. It will look good for awhile. If you are going to live with your boat for awhile, I recommend getting familiar with gelcoat repair. With a bit of practice and the right materials, it is not hard.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hull Restoration Medium/Dark Blue Gelcoat
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017 08:56 
Skipper

It's just that the blue is really, really faded and shows every little thing. I've shot and rolled a few boats with Imron, Awlgrip and Interlux Yacht Perfection, including a 50' Navy Utility. Google "50' Navy Utility" and the giant lobster style that comes up was my last project back in 2011 or so. 2 part on the topsides, and deck and wheelhouse were all 1 part. My experience with the paint is it is tough as nails and lasts if properly prepped and applied.

Yeah, this blue gelcoat is faded, butt ugly and has been "retouched" everywhere with the wrong color blue paint. It may come down to "as long as she floats, who cares," but when I go to sell, it's a lot easier to sell a white boat or a nice looking awlgripped boat. However, I would absolutely, positively prefer to retain gelcoat rather than painting.

Profile Email