Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Big Radome on Backstay?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:50

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Radome on Backstay?
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017 12:11 
Skipper

Looking at a T37 that has a pretty good sized radome mounted (with proper mounting gear) about 6-7' up the backstay. It really looks like in heavy conditions it could cause some serious unnecessary "bounce" on that backstay. I rattled the backstay a little and confirmed appreciable lateral leverage when it "bounces." Not my idea of a good radome mount. Any thoughts on this? I'm thinking just go pedestal or arch and call it good.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Big Radome on Backstay?
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017 13:14 
Midshipman

The previous owner of our boat added an 8ft pole on the stern rail/pushpit. It seems to be working quite well.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017 14:46 
Rail Meat

We have a Questus unit installed on a pole over the backstay and has served us well as a location for a radar mount. It is a self-leveling radar mount system. There is no appreciable load on the backstay as the unit is two hollow stainless steel pipes which are bolted together with allen screws. I would recommend the Questus installation as a better solution than a radar pole off the transom. Questus has a website at <questusmarine.com>.
Hope this is helpful

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017 15:04 
Skipper

Yes, similar, new installation (in the last couple of years). Plastic cover pipe up backstay (can't have any backstay adjustment). I guess my "bouncing" the backstay and the obvious potential for much harder "bouncing" in heavy weather was my concern. Do that a few thousand times and something has to give. I just did a quick search and confirmed my suspicions. Others have had the same concerns long before me. I think I'd take it down, put it on a pipe off the transom well above the cockpit and passengers. Just me. There may be absolutely nothing wrong with the backstay mount, but a 24" dome will easily be throwing its weight around in a headsea. I saw one come crashing down on the forward side of the mast on a brand spanky new Jeanneau 54DS. It shattered on the deck. Just missed a guy on the foredeck. If it had hit him . . . heavy units.

Profile Email