Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Wall/access piece between engine and under galley sink

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 15:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wall/access piece between engine and under galley sink
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017 09:25 
Skipper

What do others look like here? Mine is an access piece (see pic) that is no longer connected due to stripped screw holes so sometimes falls out. There are also access holes cut into it. This allows heat to come through to under sink during engine operation. We have to run the lines out of the hot water before can have cool water due to this. Takes a half gallon or more each time. Also, the belt dust from the alternator comes through and makes a mess under the sink over time.

Was going to at the very least drill new holes and reattach, but also want to keep the heat in the engine room too. So, may cover with something.

Any ideas from what others have going on here?

Attachments:
IMG_20170722_135817.jpg
IMG_20170722_135817.jpg [ 2.89 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Wall/access piece between engine and under galley sink
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017 11:23 
Skipper

I don't have any pictures but I believe, from memory (HA!) that we have an opening between the engine space and the galley cabinet under the sink for the alternator adjustment bar. We also have the issue of the cold water line dispensing warm water for a bit. I would imagine that as long as you weren't causing any interference with anything blocking the opening wouldn't be a problem. One thing that I have always meant to do but never got around to was an engine space ventilator that runs all the time when the engine is running. I put one in on my last boat and it made a noticeable difference. I just wired a simple bilge blower to the engine wiring with a discharge hose out the back (in our case it would be the vent by the engine controls). All that warm air you feel coming out is warm air that is no longer below and as an added bonus, the engine has a nice supply of fresh air to breath!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017 11:17 
Midshipman

Here's mine. We don't have any holes through to the engine bay, but we do have an access panel with screws. I haven't noticed any heat issues under the sink, but we do have pretty good insulation on the other side (interior of engine compartment.)

@cseltzjr we have a blower that is switched at the panel, but I like the idea of that automatically running all the time. That would be a good addition.

Attachments:
IMG_5202.JPG
IMG_5202.JPG [ 464.55 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017 12:22 
Skipper

Thanks for the info all. I'm going to try and put some insulation on that wall that covers those holes and see how that goes. We don't have a blower, and I've thought about adding that as well. I've seen that vent by the engine gauges. So, duct work attaches to that? Where is the actual blower mounted in your installations?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017 13:59 
Skipper

A regular 3" or 4" (I think) flexible vent hose should connect to the back of the vent by the engine controls. If and when I put in a blower, I'll just mount it to the top of the engine compartment maybe just forward of the binnacle or somewhere like that. The fan is a relatively low amp draw so I would probably wire it into the same circuit that I use for my electric fuel pump (I got rid of the mechanical pump about 10 or so years ago).

Chip Seltzer
Esprit #324

Profile Email