Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Travelling with the mast down

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:04

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Travelling with the mast down
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2017 07:04 
Skipper

We are getting prepared for an extended cruise south from the Great Lakes and will have to travel on The Erie Barge Canal with our mast strapped to the deck for a month or so. I am sure some of you have done this trip and I am looking for photos and descriptions of how you attached your mast and still functioned on board with docking and anchoring. Can anyone advise?
Cheers

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Travelling with the mast down
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017 17:52 
Midshipman

I'm interested in this as well. We're in Lake Michigan and are tentatively planning a trip down the other side (Mississippi) and have been contemplating whether or not the mast on board is feasible, or if we need to find a group shipping masts down and join them.

I know plenty of boats travel with them on deck, but I'm wondering how a 52'-56' spar will fare on a 37' boat. It seems like it would definitely make docking and maneuvering in tight places (locks) difficult.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2017 16:15 
Midshipman

While we have not gone great distances with our mast down, we do store mast down in the winter, and run the boat about 10 miles to a suitable hoist to step it.
There is a lot of mast sticking out each end, and in tricky maneuvering it can be a big hazard.
The mast is very heavy. You have to build a very robust set of cradles to support it. Home Depot Saw horses wont cut it. During a storm we had one collapse (at the dock) and the lifeline caught and held the mast. Otherwise it would have fallen overboard.
You will also find that the boats movements are very different without the mast up. The mast acts like a pendulum and can slow the roll of the boat (however it will prolong the number of rocks back and forth it will do).

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2017 22:54 
Skipper

While I know going from 37 feet to 52 feet will be different it is the construction of those saw horses I am interested in.
I figure that the mast 'hole' will allow me to make a very stable middle support. I will construct a post of two 2x6 passing from the keel and through the deck. This will be the key to stabilizing the mast. At the stern I was going to set up a super sawhorse at the stern and another about 4 feet back of the bow. Exactly how to do all this is why I have posted here. I am looking for a little past experience so I don't have to reinvent the wheel and benefit from other's experiences.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017 19:45 
Skipper

I did as you are thinking and made a significant post ,with cheeks at top,through the mast hole,my fore and aft were just crosses,however I now do a 'goalpost' arrangement fastened to my pushpit. Tie a piece of string tight from forestay to backstay to act as a 'pretend' mast and use this to figure out your support sizes. I tie a rope around the hull to hold up the CB while I pull mast,have a 'mouse' line ready to attach to your CB line as you pull it out of the mast,makes life easier when restepping.Buy a few ratchet tie downs and your all set.

Attachments:
NJ to VT Timshel 033.JPG
NJ to VT Timshel 033.JPG [ 2.67 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hull #6

Profile Email