Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Head floor crack

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 16:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Head floor crack
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017 08:57 
Skipper

This small crack in front of the toilet had been there since we bought the boat as well as some flex. We'd tried to just not step there, and even though we live on the boat, we almost never take showers inside. So, weren't adding more water to whatever problem lurks beneath. In other words, I've been ignoring it.

Well, I accidentally put all the weight of my heel on it and the cracks got a lot bigger. Kind of like a hole now.

I'm sure I have to somehow stop the flex/fill the void somehow, but what is or was supposed to be under there? Then somehow patch?

Anybody had this happen or know best way to fix? I'm not about to try and replace the whole liner of the head but would like something that's not an eye sore and is mostly permanent.

Or did I just become a resident of screwedville?

Attachments:
20170703_094903.jpg
20170703_094903.jpg [ 1.36 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
20170703_093842.jpg
20170703_093842.jpg [ 1.32 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Head floor crack
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017 14:54 
Able Bodied Seaman

ZDunc,
Isn't that section part of an interior shell and not an integral part of the hull?

Drill out a small access hole (you're going to have to grind it down eventually anyway) and drop an inspection mirror in there and see if there's any surprises under that section.

I would think grinding it back and effecting a fiberglass repair should be pretty straight-forward, I would plan to also build up that inside radius along the entire lateral width for additional support and strength.

My two-cents. (I thought I was wrong once, but I was right.)

Timoko

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017 16:01 
Skipper

Correct, it's an interior shell. I was thinking either small access and fill with expanding foam of even epoxy then sealing cracks and maybe even a fiberglass patch over the whole thing.

Or, would cutting a rectangle out of the shell where the soft spot is then filling the space and patching over?

Then, how to match it to not look awful?

Thoughts? I was going to research before I decided on exact materials for fill and patch. I'm new to this kind of repair. What to use?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017 21:08 
Skipper

I'm most likely exposing a serious personality flaw with this thought, but I'd be thinking of filling the void with expanding foam. Perhaps use some picks to pull the fractured area close to where it should be, drill some holes(1/2"?) to stick the wand in and insert the foam. If this easy fix doesn't work then you'll have to cut the bad section, dig out the foam and perform a fiberglass repair like the previous post defines.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017 21:14 
Midshipman

Expanding foam sounds like a nice fix, but you may want to make sure it's closed cell foam. I think most you get at the Home Depot you stores are going to waterlog over time. If you grind it all out build up enough layers of glass, might not matter if it saturates with water anyways.
Now I need to check ours and make sure it's not flexing or cracking Shocked

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017 10:58 
Skipper

OK, sounds good. I'll locate some closed cell expanding foam and give it a try. Maybe I can get it all in just the right place where an application of the creeping crack cure stuff would seal it up as a final step and not have to do much else? Thoughts?

I'll post up how it goes. If doesn't work, will be back for advice on the fiberglass repair process.

Profile Email