Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - centerboard pennant

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 08:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: centerboard pennant
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2007 13:51 
Skipper

What kind of rope are people using for the 3/8" pennant that is resistant to chafe. I was thinking of warpspeed or XLS.

Thanks, Richard

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: centerboard pennant
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2007 15:25 
Midshipman

Richard, I am using plain old double braid. I just changed out the pennant after 6 years and it looks like new.

I did upgrade to a larger line for better grip but that had an unforseen problem.

The rubber hose on the lower end of the pennant is intended to prevent the liine from falling off the top curved portion of the centerboard. You may notice when loading a pennant that it tends to jam down the side.

Well I ran aground in a race with the board down. The combined action of the board being kicked up and tilted sideways created a bight in the line that dropped down the side of the board. Once the pressure was off, the line was firmly jammed.

We were able to sail to our dock. Then with a diver using a 24" long screwdriver, a lot of muscle on the winch, and an hour of sweating. we finally broke it loose. (without breaking anything else!)

So after all this, I suppose I would return to the 3/8" double braid the new change out.

Jerry
JAMMIN' #226

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2007 10:21 
Grinder

I replaced my centerboard pennant and the hose that runs from the centerboard trunk to the stainless steel pipe and up the inside the mast while Panacea was in the sling. I used 30 feet of 3/8? double braid line for the pennant. The centerboard hose was 1? reinforced hose suitable for under the waterline double clamped at either end with Stainless steel hose clamps. You have to remove the stainless steel pipe attached to the mast base in order to do this. There are 4 screws holding the base down.

To keep the centerboard pennant from jamming in the trunk use a piece of rubber hose cut to length (about 2 feet I think) and run the pennant through it. To keep the hose from moving, it is attached to the centerboard attachment point with some nylon line.

I also took the time to barrier coat and paint the inside of the centerboard trunk with anti fowling paint.

Attachments:
File comment: Pennant attached to centerboard.
1 Centerboard Pennant Hose.jpg
1 Centerboard Pennant Hose.jpg [ 85.29 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Centerboard trunk and stainless steel pipe.
2 Centerboard Trunk.jpg
2 Centerboard Trunk.jpg [ 139.52 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Centerboard Hose
3 Centerboard hose.jpg
3 Centerboard hose.jpg [ 27.74 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2007 10:22 
Grinder

Attachment:
File comment: Panacea in the sling.

4 In the sling.jpg

4 In the sling.jpg [ 19.22 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2007 08:47 
Midshipman

The rubber hose on my CB pennant rides freely with no clamp. In 10 years of ownership, it has never jammed. The pennant can be fixed without taking anything apart according to the owners manual and I have changed my pennant twice. Actually, the second penant stretched too much and I put the old one back in. We are in freshwater which might make a difference. I think they might have used stay-set on my penant. It works anyway, with no stretch and continues to hold up. I check it every fall/haulout.

Thanks for the photos. Good pics.

Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2007 10:06 
Midshipman

I had problems of the centerboard pennant jamming between the board and trunk until I adipted the owner's manual centerboard lift system with the block and tag line. If the pennant distance between the fairlead and the bowline knot is no more than 27 1/2" when the board is fully up, then the pennant line will not have slack such that it jams, unless of course you run aground. Jay.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2009 07:42 
Skipper

First things first, what a great forum for T37 Owners! Cheers

So, it looks like I have some centerboard maintenance to do next week. I have had a slow leak coming from somewhere and I think its the centerboard stuffing box (Is that the right terminology?)

"I replaced my centerboard pennant and the hose that runs from the centerboard trunk to the stainless steel pipe and up the inside the mast while Panacea was in the sling. I used 30 feet of 3/8? double braid line for the pennant. The centerboard hose was 1? reinforced hose suitable for under the waterline double clamped at either end with Stainless steel hose clamps. You have to remove the stainless steel pipe attached to the mast base in order to do this. There are 4 screws holding the base down."

I want to replace the 1" hose and the pennant??? Having never done this before, I have some questions...

What 1" hose did you use?
The hose on the pennant, I like the idea, what did you use?
Any other tips I should know and your thoughts on my diagnosis of the leak?

Thanks folks Bow

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2009 08:30 
Grinder

Hi T35Chef,

If the leak is coming from the centerboard hose / through hull, I would not delay addressing it as this could turn into a disaster! You will want to closely inspect the centerboard trunk through hull as this was originally just threaded pipe fibreglassed into the centerboard trunk. I think the threaded pipe came from the ?plumbers supply house??

Will you be lifting your Tartan in a hoist to get enough clearance to work on the centerboard?

The centerboard hose connecting the stainless steel pipe ?pennant chase way? with the centerboard trunk through hull was 1? reinforced hose suitable for use under the waterline, double clamped at either end with stainless steel hose clamps. I can not remember the hose brand, but it is widely available. You have to remove the stainless steel pipe attached to the mast base in order to do this. There are 4 screws holding the base down.

The hose at the end of the pennant as it connects to the centerboard was radiator hose of sufficient diameter to allow the 3/8? double braid line to easily pass through. This hose was sewn onto the pennant with a few stitched of heavy thread to prevent the hose from moving on the pennant.

There are actually instructions and a diagram in the original owner?s manual for centerboard maintenance. (attached)

This will also be a good time to inspect the centerboard hinge for wear or corrosion. I think information on this is covered else ware in this site.

Mark

Attachments:
Centerboard_Pennant[1].pdf [47.97 KB]
Downloaded 139 times

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 21:01 
Skipper

Thanks everyone for your help. All has been changed and no leaks (yet Wink )

It was a royal pita and I did a few things differently than what was recommended, however everything is working better than ever. I guess time will tell. Cheers

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010 16:53 
Able Bodied Seaman

My cb pennant became untied (no, not me!) and I lost it, no messenger in place. The owner's manual recommends using a steel 'fish' to pull up a messenger then the new pennant. For the record, after trying three different styles of fish, what actually worked was to remove the mast sheave box and poke down a length of 1x19 rigging wire (standard shrouds) with the end taped tightly. All the others jammed somewhere.

John Harvey
New Day T-37 #16

New Day T37 #16
Newport RI

Profile Email