Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hatch Seal repair and Ordering a New Hatch (model ?)

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 05:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hatch Seal repair and Ordering a New Hatch (model ?)
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017 07:41 
Skipper

OK,,,,,, what a pain in the a#$.... nothing bothers me more than a leaking hatch...

My hatch started leaking again ,,, my mistake was ordering the smaller 1/2 seal.... so:

https://www.atkinshoyle.com/products/ha ... hatch.html

The forward hatch model is the XR300

1. I ordered the larger 5/8 seal - $55
2. used the Adhesive for Gasket Install, Caulking Cartridge $29.95
The shipping from Canada is a real killer...
If I knew what density of foam rubber to order from Mcmaster Carr I would have ordered it from them.

So far so good...looks like I have a good seal now. But I still intend to replace the entire hatch with either the Lewmar Ocean model 70 $819- http://www.marinedeal.com/product_p/396 ... gQodu4kDoA or

The trouble with the other models,,,, lewmar or bomar is the models with the flange... Anyone that has ordered the flange models who can advise which model works for our hatch openings (drop in ready without hatch opening rework ?)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hatch Seal repair and Ordering a New Hatch (model ?)
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2017 22:00 
Skipper

Before you do that, I suggest that you investigate the difference between a cast hatch frame (like the Atkins and Hoyle you presently have) and an extruded one like the one you are proposing in terms of strength. One is much more expensive to produce and does not flex and will not leak if the gasket is sound. The other is really great looking and relatively cheap and will flex a lot there is a reason that most production boats have gone to these of late. Your choice. Also I would ecourage you, before you blame the hatch for your leak that you be absolutely sure the hatch itself is leaking. My experience is that I have had the deck flex (I can't see it, but it it is clear that it moves) and cause a leak around the edges which requires resetting the hatch in the self tapping screws (filling with epoxy and redrilling every 7 years or so. I have never had the A and H hatches, themselves, leak in 26 years of ownership and extensive cruising. I replaced the gaskets once, but that was not because they were leaking--it was the seal around their base. I realize that new hatches are shiny, and the lexan is clear, and they seem cheap compared to getting your A&H hatches redone (and I am not fond of A&H customer service folks either). But IMHO the A and H hatches are far better built than the extruded cheap replacement hatches. To me, it is a choice between short term esthetics and sea going function.
Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017 06:10 
Skipper

The seal was dry rotted and split when I opened it up one Spring morning,,,, leaked from that point on. As for flexing.... I'm on my second hatch lid... the other one cracked on the side... I'm not in love with the A&H hatches. Any replacement hatch is going to last longer than I'm going to keep the boat anyway so Cost with quality is the most important factor for me. I've read the reviews on the Lewmar hatches... I see nothing to be that concerned about especially the higher rated models.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017 06:14 
Skipper

I agree with Ray. I sent my A&H cover to a place in Annapolis and had the gasket, the glazing and the water seals replaced. The cost was around $500, if I remember correctly. I never did like the "shower" you get whenever you open the cover with water on it and the A&H reps just laugh off that very poor piece of design engineering! In the long run though I believe that money invested in restoring the hatch you have will be better spent than money replacing it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017 06:17 
Skipper

Mike wrote:
The seal was dry rotted and split when I opened it up one Spring morning,,,, leaked from that point on. As for flexing.... I'm on my second hatch lid... the other one cracked on the side... I'm not in love with the A&H hatches. Any replacement hatch is going to last longer than I'm going to keep the boat anyway so Cost with quality is the most important factor for me. I've read the reviews on the Lewmar hatches... I see nothing to be that concerned about especially the higher rated models.

Make sure you check the hinge arrangement on the new Lewmars to see they will fit. Friends bought one and ended up sending it back due to the extensive retrofit required. They were going to have to cut fiberglass to get the new hatch in place.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2019 12:50 
Skipper

I have a leaking forward hatch as well. I called Atkins and Hoyle to make sure I ordered the correct parts and here is what I found out.

The forward hatch is the XR300.
The main cabin (smaller) hatch is the XR100.
Both hatches take a 1/2 inch seal. I also ordered new gromets for the controls that go through the forward hatch.
The Caulking that they sell is liquid Neoprene
They recommended doing both seals at once since you'll have plenty of caulking material left over if you are just doing one hatch and the smaller seal was only about 40 dollars.

Shipping was around 50 bucks so it makes sense to try to get everything in one order.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2019 09:30 
Skipper

I thought I had posted this a few years ago... must not have. I replaced my hatch with a Bomar SS 100, love the hatch and have had no trouble with it since installation.

See the PDF how I installed....

Attachments:
Bomar SS Voyager 100 hatch Installation.pdf [625.66 KB]
Downloaded 27 times

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2021 10:19 
Tactictian

I need to replace my forward A & H hatch gasket.
I see that in the trail of posts that 1/2” gasket is too small and still leaked, replaced with 5/8”.

Another post noted that they were going with 1/2” per A&H.

Anybody else replaced their hatch gaskets?
What size did you use? Any issues?

Thanks in advance.
Nick.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2021 12:27 
Tactictian

Nick - I ordered and installed 1/2" from them on A&H advice. I also used the adhesive they recommend. Just the seals cost $123 shipped! My sense is that 1/2" was minimally acceptable. My hatches sealed but I had to make some adjustments. I got to wondering if 5/8" would've been better. The 1/2" fit well inside the hatch channel but I would've liked it to be a bit more proud of the surface for a better seal.

So, this material is likely standard stuff that you can buy from McMaster for a fraction of the price (and even they are expensive). It's round neoprene or some other foam rubber. Might be this: https://www.mcmaster.com/gaskets/materi ... oam-cords/

or this: https://www.mcmaster.com/gaskets/materi ... oam-cords/

Bottom line - A&H are jerks because this is COTS material and they could just tell their customers what it is instead of raking them over the coals. Also, delivery from Canada took forever and was an additional $28.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2021 09:24 
Tactictian

Thanks for the feedback.
I think I’m going to go with the 5/8” diameter and plan on doing both hatches.
Just not sure if there’s a difference in gasket densities between A&H and Mac Master Carr’s gaskets.

3M 1300 is a very good gasket adhesive that comes in a small 5 oz. tube that I might try.

Thanks again.
Nick.

Profile Email