Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Preventer Recomendations.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 24 Apr 2024 09:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preventer Recomendations.
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017 08:50 
Tactictian

Reaching out for Recomendations on preventers.
Looking for something simple, effective.
Thanks in advance.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Preventer Recomendations.
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017 11:52 
Skipper

I'd suggest one of these: https://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=38

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017 12:30 
Skipper

Not sure if you want a preventer or a boom vang. I think a lot of folks have gone the [flash=]Gahauer[/flash] Boom solid boom vang and never looked back. I have had mine for many years and many miles.
If you are actually looking for some rigging to prevent a jibe, there is the boom brake (I believe there is a commercial product by that name)--I have a homade one that is simply an adjustable friction device that slows the boom as it crosses the centerline through friction. I don't have a picture of it. You also could simply rig a line from the boom through a block well forward of the mast and back so that you could hold the boom---this used to be popular, but I rarely see anyone going to the the trouble to rig and reset the thing after each jibe. Mostly, I think the true preventer has been replaced by the boom brake by most folks these days.
FWIW.
Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017 16:08 
Tactictian

Sorry for any confusion.
Perhaps I should have said Boom brake, to prevent accidental jibes.

I have seen the ring type that that greatly slows down the boom. In the past, on smaller boats we have rigged up a simple line run thru a snatch block at the bow, then aft to the cockpit (as Ray mentioned) but it can become a tripping hazard when going forward.
Dutchman makes a boom brake/ preventer that looks pretty interesting too, not sure how reliable. Has anybody used the ring brake or the Dutchman brake? Something else?
All comments appreciated.
Regards,

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017 17:06 
Skipper

I have a boom vang that is attached to the mast bail with a snap shackle. I unhook the snap shackle and pull it forward to the stanchion base around the middle of the boat.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2017 12:15 
Tactictian

Thanks.
Sounds effective and cheap.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017 06:28 
Skipper

I use a Scott boom brake and works great. http://www.sailspar.co.uk/yacht-product ... -boomlock/

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017 14:08 
Skipper

I think that boom brakes have the same tripping potential as do traditional preventer systems, as the brake line must be attached to strong points at the toe rail on each side of the boat just aft of the mast. I use a simple traditional preventer system on Betty Lou, described below.

My end-boom system has two pendants secured to the end of the boom, running most of its length forward beyond the vang but not quite to the gooseneck. The forward ends of the pendants are equipped with snapshackles. When not in use, I clip them to the boom near the gooseneck. I secure two snatch blocks at the bow on a bridle rigged between the port and starboard bow cleats. Port and starboard preventer lines are rigged with eyes at the forward ends. I lead the forward ends from their bow turning block outboard of the shrouds and secure them to the mast. The bitter ends are led aft through port and starboard snatch blocks amidships, then back to the cockpit.

When running downwind, I simply unclip the leeward pendant from the boom, clip it to the leeward preventer line, and tension and cleat off the line in the cockpit. When jibing, slack off on the preventer line, unclip the leeward pendant and clip it the to the boom, and secure the leeward preventer line. Complete the jibe, and follow the previous setup steps on the new leeward preventer and pendant.

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 08:23 
Midshipman

I employ the same setup and procedure as Jay. It couldn't be simpler, which means I actually use it rather than put it off, and I consider it to be one of the most important safety improvements I've made to my boat. The booms on the T37 are head-hunters for sure.

Doug Radabaugh
Kinsale T37 #22

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 11:12 
Tactictian

Thanks for all the feedback and comments.
From my racing days, I'm concerned about stumbling over lines, in heavy weather. Have you had any issues with the lines?
Regards,
Nick.

Profile Email