Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - How to access pump-out deck fill and vent?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to access pump-out deck fill and vent?
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2016 16:15 
Rail Meat

Hi all,

I am soon going to be replacing all the sanitation hoses for the head and holding tank. I would like to replace the pump-out hose and vent line as well, but how do you access those deck-fill fittings? Do they have to be removed from the topside to change the hose? Then when they are rebedded are they just screwed in or through bolted? How would one access the backside to put washers and nuts or a backing plate on?

Thanks very much in advance for you help!

James

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: How to access pump-out deck fill and vent?
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2016 17:33 
Skipper

The pump out fitting is screwed to the deck. Remove the screws pull the fitting up enough to remove the hose clamps. Install in the reverse order. I sealed the fitting with butyl rubber. It's quite a simple process.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2016 09:09 
Skipper

I replaced the pump out. Not through bolted. I did do some moving and adjusting of hose clamps after the fact. I can fit in the locker without removing it, but it is tight and not an optimal way to work on it. I can tell you that for sure!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2016 12:05 
Rail Meat

Great, I'll do it the way Lunacy described. I'm a big guy, there is not a chance I could fit inside the locker!

Thanks very much,
James

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2016 10:52 
Skipper

Definitely go through the access mentioned by Lunacy. Just above the hanging locker is some trim and removing is easy. There are some hidden screws but it should only take a few minutes and you will have full access to both the vent and pump out. And there is an additional benefit you have access to any wires running to the bow as these run up just behind the hoses.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018 17:19 
Rail Meat

This is long since completed but to help others---Lunacy is correct. It was pretty easy to remove the wood panels. I worked a putty knife between the two panels on mine once screws removed and that allowed space to swing them both away. snug fit but not a problem. I had an odor coming from locker and it was a larger vent hose installed than the barb size on the vent. The previous installer tightened the hose clamp trying to seal the gap so that it had "cut" into the hose and allowed gases to leak into cabin. A vent with the proper barb was not readily available in time I had allowed so I used a plastic nipple fitting that had the correct size on each end and short piece of smaller hose. Solved the problem. I plan on replacing the vent thru hull fitting to match the hose next time I need to go in that area again. It was easy to do the hose replacement and clamps and I didn't have to rebed the pump out fitting nor work on my knees outside. Picture attached for reference.

Ottis
Stella Maris
Hull#466

Attachments:
IMG_2031.JPG
IMG_2031.JPG [ 2.08 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Orange Beach, Alabama
Sailing East Coast of FL 2018

Profile Email