Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Rust from rub rail

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 01:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rust from rub rail
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2020 10:43 
Navigator

On our boat it seems the stainless rub rail is too tall: it protrudes above the deck at the scuppers in the teak toe-rail. That collects water and junk at each scupper which then drains out leaving vertical rust stains and dirt streaks down the sides of the hull. It also seems likely that it's probably keeping the hull-deck joint more damp than necessary.

As new owners we're thinking the thing to do notch the top of the rub rail at the scuppers so it's flush with the fiberglass deck and everything can drain directly overboard. Is this plan a good idea?

Thanks and happy holidays.
Mike & Gina

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2020 11:30 
Skipper

Yes. I pondered grinding out the stainless a little right there.
There's another T37 in my yard that they burrowed beneath the toerail at the scupper with a fiberglassed-in recess/cup that feeds UNDER the stainless. It looks a little home made, but there's nothing like real scuppers. Low point drains in the aft deck would be even better. The first thing I noticed when the Morris 36 came out down to SW Harbor was clean, overboard, low drain scuppers. I complimented Tom Morris on it. No drain marks down the side of the deck. Back then they want almost $400K for the boat. Now I think they've gone well beyond 3/4 of a Million.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2020 14:52 
Skipper

I took a die grinder to mine and made a nice smooth exit to the scuppers. As a matter of interest,at what hull # did they change to the later style scupper drains?

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2020 17:03 
Skipper

That boat with the scupper cutouts in glass was in the 480's HIN. It had a Scheel keel, double spreader rig. I say the scuppers looked homemade, but maybe they were factory. It did look like an attempt at a better idea.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2020 20:18 
Skipper

My Tartan has notches in each of the scupper rub rails. I bought it this way. So I don't know how it done or when.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2020 22:13 
Skipper

Not a good pic,but these are the later style drains

Attachments:
A23A02D5-9342-4B9F-A8CC-13CB36B472E0.jpeg
A23A02D5-9342-4B9F-A8CC-13CB36B472E0.jpeg [ 1.62 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2020 15:21 
Skipper

Better view if you zoom at the rail just aft of the sheet winch. There doesn't appear to be gelcoat on the scupper. They certainly aren't huge drains, but are an improvement. They look a little homemade, but maybe not.
Dammit. Why do they always come in HERE upside down? Click on the photo and zoom in. There's one fwd of the winch, too.

Attachments:
T37 Scupper Photo.jpg
T37 Scupper Photo.jpg [ 105.71 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2021 09:43 
Skipper

Tackled this project this weekend. After removing the rub rail one side had noticeably more sealant than the other. This was all dug out with a putty knife and cleaned with mineral spirits and acetone. We polished the rub rails before reinstalling and marked the longer screws with tape. We used almost 4 tubes of sealant (TotalBoat Seal) to complete the job. Taped too and bottom, caulked and smoothed the joint then removed the tape. The seal caulk skins over fairly quickly so we reinstalled the rub rail after tape removal. This drives the screws into wet sealant, but the outer layer is dry.

Overall the project took about two full days of work, but glad we got it finished.

Profile Email