Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Rudder Post Packing Size

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 00:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder Post Packing Size
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015 11:57 
Skipper

Last time I changed out my rubber post packing I think I used 5/16" which appeared to be the size installed but it turned out to be too small. Does anybody know the correct size?

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Rudder Post Packing Size
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2015 16:03 
Skipper

Sorry about posting this question twice. I was out cruising in an area with poor cell phone reception and somehow it posted the question twice. Anyway, I can now answer my own question. 5/16 inch is the right size. I replaced it again today. I had both 5/16 inch and 3/8 inch packing. 5/16 inch fits well but is fully compressed by the upper plate, with no room for future tightening. This made me think the next larger size may by more appropriate. Well, it isn't. 3\8 inch won't fit at all.

Odyssey #191

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015 06:30 
Skipper

Couple of questions: Did you remove the quadrant to service the packing gland? If so, any comments about the process? Does your boat have a grease fitting just below the gland? If so, do you inject grease with any regularity?
Thanks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015 12:32 
Skipper

You'll have to remove the quadrant. It wasn't hard for me because I had done it before. Mark its height on the rudder post so you can relocate it at its current position. I did it two ways: 1. Remove both cables from the quadrant, which is the easiest; or 2. Loosen both cables as much as possible, pry the cables out of the quadrant grooves. Then remove the 4 bolts holding quadrant halves together, and move the quadrant halves to the side and out of the way. The packing gland has 3 bolts holding the top flat gland cover in place.

I had a useless grease cup directly below the packing. It was completely rusted and water leaked by it when powering. I removed it and temporarily plugged the hole. I was hoping to install a grease fitting but the hole was too big . Will probably try to address this issue this fall with the boat on the hard.

Odyssey #191

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2015 21:41 
Skipper

I put a zerk fitting in mine and it works well---just remember to turn the wheel full port and starboard a bit while greasing, because the keyway (at least on mine) goes right down the center and will waste a lot of grease. The previous fitting had rusted, so I drilled it all out, filled it with epoxy (with 403 high density filler in it) and drilled and tapped it for a zerk fitting.

Ray
Velera #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2020 02:31 
Skipper

Velera wrote:
I put a zerk fitting in mine and it works well---just remember to turn the wheel full port and starboard a bit while greasing, because the keyway (at least on mine) goes right down the center and will waste a lot of grease. The previous fitting had rusted, so I drilled it all out, filled it with epoxy (with 403 high density filler in it) and drilled and tapped it for a zerk fitting.

Ray
Velera #373

What type of grease did you use in the rudder packing gland? Mine has a zerk fitting and I have some salt water wheel bearing grease onboard which I was planning to use.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2020 11:04 
Skipper

Ummm. I got no rudderpost packing gland. Now I got to go back and look, because the Youngest dropped the quadrant and top end while I dealt with everything from below. Just a rubber cover clamped onto the top of the stainless rudderpost to keep water out. But the boat is 2000 miles away until April, and I ain't doing any snow removal.

Profile Email