Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Water Capacity

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 21:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water Capacity
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2007 17:35 
Midshipman

I wanted to share a comment about the "advertised" water capacity of 90 gallons. This is a loong way from the truth. Supposedly there is 20 gallons in the water heater and 70 gallons in two tanks. On our first cruise we ran out of water in four days, half way across the Gulf of Mexico.

First, the 20 gallons in the water heater can't be used without pumping water into the tank. This is unusable capacity.

Second, the two 35 gallon tanks are measured, by the vendor, to the "outside" dimensions of the tanks. Actual inside dimensions of the tank yield only about 30 gallons or less. Then there are two more terms to deal with, the first called ullage (that air space at the top of the tank) and undrainable water. (that bit at the bottom of the tank that never drains out)

The result is the real useful water capacity is only 50-55 gallons at best. We now have learned to make this last three weeks or more. (The skipper never takes a shower except at marinas.)

I am now looking into adding another water tank, perhaps an fabric tank in the aft lazarette.

Oh, by the way, I just removed the hot water heater. My advice is to use a Sawzall and cut around the circumference. (The ends are very thick.) With the tank cut in half you can pass the pieces out the hatch. Our new water heater is going to me a flat, 4 gallon tank that mounts on the bulkhead aft of the quarter berth.

Jammin'

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Water Capacity
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2007 10:25 
Midshipman

And your figures also assume that both the port and starboard tanks are working correctly. In posts and discussions on the sailnet chatroom, a lot of owners said their port-side tank leaked. Mine was leaking when I bought it but since it was empty, was not caught by the surveyor. I did find a small wooden cover in the locker just after of the port tank. When you remove it, which took some doing, you can see the exit tube (where I think the lead occurs due to discolored stryofoam), but it is very tight to make any repairs.

Also, regarding the water heater, posts on the same chatroom said that one should go thorugh the opening/panels on the port side of the engine. I have not tried this yet but have opened it up to work on the exhaust system. It does provide a lot of access to the engine. I am contemplating changing out my waterheater as well, and will watch for advice from those of you who have done it. Mine works and does not leak but is getting a little rusty around the edges.

Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2007 15:58 
Able Bodied Seaman

Our T-37 is #403, a 1982 model. The manual shows that the starboard tank is 60 gallons and the port is 30. On the subject of water heaters, there is a rectangular, all stainless tank available in 6 and 12 gallon sizes made by, I think, Atlantic Marine. It can be passed through the cockpit lazarette lid, "just barely". I removed a failed 12 gallon model and replace with a 6 gallon so both sizes will work. It mounted on the boat's centerline, just aft of the shaft log.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2007 11:56 
Skipper

I replaced my water heater about 2 years ago with an Atlantic Marine heater. I believe it was an 11 gallon version. It will pass through the starboard hatch opening, just barely. I too installed it in the location of the old tank. I removed the old tank by cutting it into 2 halves with a sawzall. It wasn't hard at all.

Jim

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2007 07:59 
Midshipman

I removed the original water heater by cutting it up with a sawzall using a metal cutting blade. It is not that hard to do, just cut around the middle. Don't try to cut through the top or bottom, as the tank liner is much thicker there. Yeah, it's a messy job.

As soon as I learn how to post photos I will show you the finished installation.

Jammin'

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2007 08:23 
Midshipman

I just noticed I am repeating myself. Sorry.

I installed a new vent line on the port water tank. I found that on the original vent line the loop was mounted too low allowing the tank to vent water into the bilge when heeled to port. This is even worse if you leave both tank valves in the open position allowing the starboard tank to drain into the port tank.

We had a scare on a run accross the Gulf of Mexico when we found the bilge full of water. We finally figured out that it was almost half the water we had just taken on at Key West. We were on a long starboard tack in 28 knots giving the starboard tank plenty of time to empty.

There are many options for a new vent location, but I chose to run a line all the way to the transom. Just try not to leave any low spots in the line where it will collect water and prevent venting.

Jammin #226

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2007 22:11 
Rail Meat

Jammin,

I have this exact problem with the water system leaking so your post is timely. First full year with the boat (#279 - Tranquility) and working my way through the systems.

We just topped up both water tanks after she went in. Went for a short sail in strong winds last week and next time on the boat checked the tanks - port tank was 80% empty, starboard about 60% empty. I think that port was actually turned off from the pump. We barely used any water so it must have been leaks. Very surprising.

Any insights? Are the tanks themselves actually prone to leaking or is the connections or the venting. Could you also say more about venting - how to vent, where to vent from and to, how the venting actually works? It sounds like you know your stuff on this (and I unfortunately don't). Also, anything about the starboard side tank and how's its different from your comments on the port.

Thanks!

-Scott

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2007 07:05 
Skipper

Scott-

I had a similar problem 2 years ago. I would fill both tanks and would find after a sail that I would lose a significant amount. However, when a checked for leaks on the mooring, I couldn't find any. Well, to make a long story short, I finally found that I had a leak on the top of my starboard water tank, which only leaked when the boat was heeling. That leak was at a stiffener on the top of the tank, which I think failed due to the excess pressure caused by filling the tanks from the deck fill connections. I removed the starboard tank and got the crack plastic welded, and it hasn't leaked since. I now never cross-connect my tanks, and never fill from the deck fittings unless someone is watching down below to assure that we never fill above the the tank top.

You can check this out on your boat by slowly filling from the deck connections and overfill slightly. If you have cracks on the top, you will see leakage to the bilge or to the cabin sole directly.

If you need to get your tank welded, you can contact:

Bill?s Plastic Welding
Bill Hodge
508-274-7218 (cell)
5 Cameron Street
Buzzard?s Bay, MA 02532

If you have any questions, don't hesistate to contact me off-line.

Jim
Odyssey #191
We're out of Osterville

Odyssey #191

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2007 20:42 
Rail Meat

Thanks Jim,

Ironic that the plastic welder is in Buzzards Bay. I'll check for leaks.

Do you have any issues with venting of the tanks or do you have a venting approach that works on your boat (see the prior post by Jammin').

Maybe I'll see you out in the Sound this year.

-Scott

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2007 06:39 
Skipper

Scott-

I may have had problems losing water from the tanks via the vent lines. I guess it could happen with the tanks cross-connected, when heeling. On my boat, the high points on the vent lines are about 2-3 ft above the tank, if I recall correctly, so perhaps on severe heel angles the starboard tank could leak through the port vent and vice-versa. I now never cross-connect the tanks, so if that 'leakage' path exists, it won't occur.

Jim
Odyssey #191

Odyssey #191

Profile Email