Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Autopilot choice?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 10:04

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Which autopilot do you have?
Raymarine Wheel Pilot? 55%  55%  [ 16 ]
Simrad Wheel Pilot? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Raymarine Linear Drive, type 1? 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
Raymarine Linear Drive, type 2? 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
B & G below deck? 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Simrad below deck? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
other? 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 29
 Post subject: Re: Autopilot choice?
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014 11:01 
Skipper

I wonder how the Alpha compares to the new Raymarine Evolution for features/reliability/cost/energy?...........Maybe I'll compile a spreadsheet and post it.
I gotta do something: wheel pilot simply doesn't hold course when sailing for any length of time.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014 11:20 
Skipper

Hey Zach,

The minimum you will need for the Alpha 3000 pilot is the control system, a mechanical drive unit and the drive link. The drive link is the attachment between the drive unit and the rudder. It allows the drive unit to be completely disconnected from the steering when not in use. I'm not certain of the length of the drive unit on Betty Lou... I'll try to remember to check tomorrow when at the boat.

Attachment:
Spectra_drive_unit.gif

Spectra_drive_unit.gif [ 8.21 KB | Viewed 366 times ]

I also have the wired remote, which is awesome. It lets you steer using the pilot from the comfort of under the dodger, switching back and forth between autopilot and manual steering with the flick of a switch, and also set a new heading into the pilot.

Attachment:
Spectra_Remote_Control.gif

Spectra_Remote_Control.gif [ 13.84 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

You will also need to fabricate an attachment point for the outboard end of the drive unit. Ours is high up on the starboard side just aft of the lazarette hatch.

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014 13:34 
Skipper

Thanks for that info. Would be interested in the length of your drive unit as well as any pictures you can snap of the setup and your attachment point. Thanks for the info! Zach

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014 17:33 
Skipper

Jay,
DO you have to disconnect the drive unit when not in use or does it have a "neutral" with little resistance?
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014 08:03 
Skipper

Unless they have changed them substantially since I was a delivery skipper, the Alpha requires a physical pin to be pulled to disengage and engage it each time you use it. I imagined that this would be a hassle on my T37 and passed up the Alpha though it was a rugged unit. I have used a RayMarine Linear drive on my T37 for 15 years (and I carry an old wheel pilot for a backup) because, at the time I bought it, was the only unit with an electric clutch that automatically engaged when the unit was on and let you sail with minimal friction when it was off and disengaged. I think their patent has expired on that clutch and others have designed similar ones. I am not a fan of highly integrated autopilots (to GPS and navigation) but I really appreciate and use the Raymarine autopilot link to my Raymarine mast head wind instrument to keep the boat on a constant relative bearing to the wind.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014 08:24 
Skipper

Let me clarify my question about the Alpha: In the old days, you could turn the unit "off" or to "helm" but that did not disengage the unit from the steering quadrant. What it meant was that there was a significant amount of mechanical drag of the gears of the drive unit when you were manually steering. Has this been changed?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014 18:10 
Skipper

You can turn off the Alpha pilot without disengaging the locking mechanism, but you then have significant drag on the wheel as the linear drive is still engaged. When the drive is disengaged there is zero drag on the wheel. Controls are simple; pull up on the control cable to engage, push down to disengage.

I use the remote when the pilot is engaged and I need to maneuver the boat, rather than disengaging the drive. The remote steering is super precise... I often do slow turns with 1/4 mile radius when motoring up the river without touching the remote during the entire turn.

I usually engage the drive when motoring or sailing a long tack, and only disengage the drive when docking or for a lot of close in manuvering (and for most upwind sailing on the river, when we are tacking every 90 seconds). The record; left Barkley Sound on the west coast of Vancouver Island, turned on the pilot 100 yards after leaving the fuel dock in Ucleulet, sailed downwind off the Washington coast to the Columbia River, across the bar and into West Basin Astoria Oregon, disengaging the pilot 100 yards from the fuel dock. The Alpha managed 24 hours of quartering winds and 6 foot swell without needing a single touch.

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014 05:46 
Skipper

Jay, how does it do on a dead-downwind sail with a following sea?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014 05:48 
Skipper

curious: How many people with wheel pilots have no issues while sailing in moderate to heavy conditions?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014 11:42 
Skipper

Most of our dead downwind sailing happens on the river, where typically the wind is on the nose going downriver and up the butt going back upstream. I let the pilot steer when wing-on-wing with the boom prevented, and it does a great job, but of course there is no swell (sometimes a bit of wind wave, though).

An additional note on the Alpha pilot: If you search for reviews you will find some who have had problems with their units, and complain about the customer support from Alpha Marine. Those negative reviews are in the minority, though, and most report many trouble-free years of reliable service from their Alphas. That has certainly been our experience, 8 years with no issues at all. However, standard disclaimer: YMMV

jK

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next