Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - The Boat Yard Blues

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 02:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Boat Yard Blues
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007 20:47 
Skipper

Well, I'm thinking of getting a cardboard sign and finding a nice freeway on-ramp somewhere nearby. The sign would read:

Vet Needs Help
Not Homeless...
Just need money for the boat yard

I hauled out a couple of weeks ago for a bottom paint job, after getting a pretty decent quote at the Portland Boat Show from the best yard in town, Schooner Creek. The bottom was in great shape, blister free. But I noticed my prop was loose on the shaft, and even after tightening the nut, was still wobbling a bit. The taper at the end of the shaft is out of true, humped up a bit in the center, so that the prop won't seat snugly on the shaft. The yard also pointed out that my shaft is out of alignment, causing the cutlass bearing to wear unevenly. Since I would like to shorten the shaft to bring the prop closer to the strut (it's a good 5 inches from the strut to the prop), I decided to have the yard remove the shaft, shorten it and re-machine the taper, replace the cutlass bearing, and realign the engine and shaft. Well heck, as long as we're doing THAT, might as well replace the old stuffing box with a new dripless shaft seal. But wait! What about those original equipment (1978) motor mounts? Wouldn't this be a perfect opportunity to replace those? And finally (but not really final, I'm sure), the set screws are rusted solid into the corroded end of the shaft coupling. Better replace the coupling, too.

Long story short, I could have just had the yard lap the prop and shaft to get a snug fit and call it good. But I'm doing a round trip up the Washington coast this Summer, and have plans for a lot more blue water passages, so I guess the additional $2600 will be money well spent for the peace of mind that my power train is in brand new condition.

I just wish I could add that three bladed MaxProp to the job... where's that cardboard sign got off to???

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: The Boat Yard Blues
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2007 13:52 
Skipper

I feel your pain. I'm getting ready to install a dorade guard, so while the headliner is out, I might as well replace the old teak grabrails with new ones (stainless???)and while I'm at it I might as well insulate the ceiling as well..........The list is going to do us in one day!!!!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2007 21:31 
Skipper

I'm thinking of coming up with a new currency unit for the money we spend on our boats. The exhange rate would make it less painful. For example, $1000.00 = 10 lpu (less painful unit) boat units?

My wife would see bills for 20 or 30 boat units instead Chuckle

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2007 06:39 
Skipper

It's a good thing my wife loves the boat as well or else, she would retaliate against all the money that goes towards the boat, say, by buying beachfront in Malibu or something along those lines......... Frustrating

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2007 23:06 
Skipper

What? Reusing the shaft? Heck... buy a new one! Tartan will show them as in stock (at least two yrs ago they did) but that means they'll have one machined and sent to you. But it sounds like the shaft was the source of all the problems... hate to see it recreate all those issues. They leave the key slot and the set screws to the installer. I'm sure you don't have time to wait though. So good luck on all the repairs. A solid drive train is worth the...
Bucks Bucks Bucks

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007 06:49 
Skipper

Down2theC, If you stare at those dollar signs long enough, you can hipnotize yourself into buying a new Tartan!!!!!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2007 08:17 
Skipper

Must buy 4100... Shocked

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2007 07:03 
Skipper

Not a bad choice!!!! One of the few newer Tartans that share a design philosophy of our 37's with an edge on performance.

Profile Email