Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - rudder zerk fitting

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 16:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rudder zerk fitting
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2007 22:44 
Skipper

Hi, has anyone added a grease fitting to grease the rudder shaft? I know some T37's came with one but mine doesn't. I would like to add one but would like to know the depth of the zerk fitting I would need before drilling and tapping. Also how far below the rudder stuffing box are the factory ones?

Thanks, Richard

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: rudder zerk fitting
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007 17:58 
Able Bodied Seaman

Dear Richard,

My hill #52 1977 came with a grease fitting but I don't know who put it there, could be factory or not. The rudder tube and the associated fiberglass used to install the tube and reenforce the installation look to be about 1/2" thick. Assuming that the grease you use will be lighter than water, it will float on the water that is always in the tube. The tube is open at the lowerend about at static water line, and water can easily seek a level higher in the tube as waves pass the hull or the stern is depressed by motoring. So if the grease is is going to be in there emulsified with water I don't think it is critical where the fitting is placed so I think make it higher than lower, but do it where you can get tools in to do the job. If I were doing it I would drill a small diameter hole right too the rudder post, 1/8" or so then follow up with a larger drill for just the thread depth of the fitting.

Sam

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 May 2007 22:44 
Skipper

Hi all, put in the zerk fitting in this past weekend and greased until it came out where the rudder stuffing was (already took out to repack). Repacked with 5/16" flax and then greased up until it came out near the top of the rudder. Definitely moves better and not too hard of a job. Recommended if you don't have a fitting on your boat.

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2007 14:08 
Able Bodied Seaman

What size zerk did you put in? Was there any problem taking the packing out of the top of the shaft?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2007 22:59 
Skipper

I bought a small monel straight and 45 degree fitting. I think the size was 1/8" NPT but the thread depth was only a 1/4" to 5/16" as I did not want to go too deep as I didn't know how thick the glass is there. I ended up putting in the straight one as the 45 didn't want to line up where I could grease it. After it was in I coated epoxy around the fitting to make sure it wouldn't pop out or back off when loaded with grease.
The flax came out better than I had hoped. I undid the 3 bolts that hold the top of the stuffing box (all done from looking down the rear locker) and then I put some of our kids plasticine around the steering shaft to hold up the bearing while I picked at the flax with some small picks, then I repacked. I was only able to get 2 wraps (separated by the cut at 180 degrees).

Richard

Profile Email