Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Centerboard

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Aug 2019 16:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Centerboard
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019 20:42 
Skipper

I'm too tired to figure out how to post any photos. Either the rumor about Great Lakes boats is true, or someone redid the centerboard in this thing. After I got fed up with compounding the gelcoat, I went for the centerboard. It was almost dark. I got the spooge out of the way and the bolts out in 10 minutes. But, to my chagrin, the yard blocked me 1.25" too close together. Board doesn't look like its ever been out. Stainless is like new, was buried in resin. Guess where the bolts are, put a chisel up against the steel, a couple taps and the whole plug popped off both sides. Shiny stainless, but old, old looking resin. I think this may be factory. Only 5 bolts, one head missing. Came out pretty easy. The Kid has to come down and provide some adult supervision in the morning while I see if I can jimmy the board out of there by putting it back in the slot and dropping the front end first. Maybe. The board is painted a beige color and doesn't look like its ever had any bottom paint on it. It was basically held in with bivalves. Mussels. Millions of them. Would it be untoward of me to add lock washers to these bolts? That's what I'm going to do on the pintle inside, since three out of four of the nylocs don't reach the nylon.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Centerboard
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2019 16:24 
Skipper

I won. After too many hours fiddling on a weekend, determined the yard and the board were not going to win. Board and all fittings look great. Heavy little monkey to lug around alone. I had to cut a "vee" in the forward blocking and knock a corner off the aft blocking and I finally got it out. Two high capacity lithium batteries and a sawzall later on wet hemlock blocking. What an ordeal. Board was just caked with a fine coating of light brown mud, had bottom paint on it at some point. I can re-reeve the pennant, put a new tube on it, and slap everything back together after pressure washing out the trunk. Then I'm going to put a green scrubby on a stick, spray acetone up in, scrub the hell out of it, then spray a couple coats of barrier coat up in, followed by a couple coats of Micron 66. The board gets touched up and same treatment. Not perfect, but better than the raw fiberglass that is in there.

I am getting to like this boat better and better. Except the blocking now prevents me from getting at the broken bolt and trying to extract/replace that. It's up inside the threads a bit, and 6 is always better than 5.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2019 21:54 
Skipper

Dropping our center-board this fall, been out a few times. Hope it goes as well. We usually have the yard hold us before blocking up and drop the board.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2019 07:30 
Skipper

If you block 3 high and clear the forward hinge pin, and block as far back on the non-hollow (the very aft end is hollow) keel, it drops right out. The width of the trunk opening lets you tilt it a little one way or the other and slide her out. I'll measure. I have to run down to the yard for a minute before working today. I think I'm at the minimum height, but didn't leave enough space aft, causing the necessity of sawzall sculpture on the blocking. I'd rather have the time to fiddle with everything out, then in, rather than some guy sitting on the travel lift waiting while I rush taking out spooge over the nuts, then six nuts (well, 5 and have to figure out how to get that broken one out), then drop only to have to reverse the process when back in the slings. I'll get the precise measurement and report back. I can do it all on the blocking, maintenance, etc., without being rushed. The only disadvantage is it blocks on the radius of the forward end of the keel, and I just can't get straight at the forward bolt where the head snapped off to drill and get it out.

Profile Email